Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Broadcast TV Signals

Capturing Broadcast TV Signals

I have a rabbit ears guy that is looking for an antenna for reception of digital signals come February. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

rabbit ears are working pretty good so far with the digital converters so far...

The signal will still come at the same "frequency", so to speak, but the information transmitted will just be different. Sorta like your radio programming at 95.1FM used to be english, and now it's in spanish. Same idea with this digital TV stuff. I understand that some stations are changing their "frequency" slightly, but they'll still be either in the VHF or UHF band.

It greatly depends on how close they are to the stations, and the terrain, in south Florida, you don't have any mountains in the way, so it's mostly distance that dictates reception. Try www.highdefforum.com for suggestions, You can also go to antennafool.com to see what channels you can get, though it's not real accurate, it will give you a good idea at whats available. According to it I should not be able to get any channels here in the mountains, But I get about 10 channels out of Atlanta 80 miles away and across two mountains. I can get 3 channels out of Chattanooga,TN at about the same distance. The picture you get is better than satellite or cable Hi Def because the signal has not been compressed, then decompressed.

Thumbs up

I don't know what brand to tell you to buy, but our local TV stataion is Big on it here, Digtal TV.
    It covers just about evey aspect of what one can expect.

The other town's newspaper just had a AP article about a 2% drop in TV's recpection for the people in the hilly's like Billy.

But your $40 coupon is waiting right here to get "FREE" and purchase the required equipment to maintain you viewing pleasure.
    Government to Give money away...

Hope that helps
    Last edited by cadpoint; 12-28-08 at 04:40 PM.
    If your even thirsty, your two quarts low.

Quote Originally Posted by chris kennedy View Post
    I have a rabbit ears guy that is looking for an antenna for reception of digital signals come February. Any recommendations?

Thank you.
    Totally depends on a variety of factors. Some people do just fine with rabbit ears while others need deep fringe rooftop antennas. Just don't fall into the "HDTV" antenna hype. R.F. is r.f. You don't need a special antenna for digital TV (including HDTV).

Antennaweb can help you select the right antenna for your location.
    CIAO!

Ed N.

Well shoot, I was going to get my sudo free antenna and recieve all the broadcasting waves that aren't on my wire now!
    That's where I wanted to Go... My Cable doesn't have the 5 channels of my PBS... !

Radio Signal Vs Radio Type. Come on Get with the 50's... :grin:
    If your even thirsty, your two quarts low.

Hey! How about the 10 Spanish channels that you can pick up real easy! Of course in Miami that would probably be useful, but in the mountains it's not worth a whole lot except to the illegals!

Unless the channels are considered low power they will have to vacate the VHF band- chs 2-13, so your reception will be UHF and that's always been a crap shoot. Likely the transmitters will be scattered in all directions so a directional antenna, which you want for the gain will have to be on a rotator- or several antennas. If you are lucky you will be able to get a few channels. Welcome back to the 50's.

My opinion is that the whole off-air HD antenna and converter box thing is just a way to placate people who don't have cable or satellite so the government could auction off the frequencies for $$$$$. They could have just as well left everything alone and just switched to digital.

If you want to experiment go ahead, but my feeling is sooner or later unfortunately you will be a cable or sat subscriber.

-Hal
    Last edited by hbiss; 12-28-08 at 11:35 PM.

channel master is a good brand...

http://www.channelmasterintl.com/4220.html
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT