3 ways what is the solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

Ok Im stuck on 300.3 b3. I would use 2 12/2 w gr. but I am reading that this is not the correct way to go, nowadays. I need to wire a set of 3 ways but what is the solution in regards to having an ungrounded conductor at each switch, for occ sensors. I cannot find 12/4 w/ gr readily available. I am assuming there are some ideas on here. If not I am planning on running a 12/3 along with a 12/2 between boxes so not to create any eddy issues. What is being done in the residential world for threeway/fourway installations.

Jljohnson

For the most part, we are just wiring the three ways with the power feed in one box, switch leg wiring in the other and carrying a 3 wire between the two for the travelers and neutral wire. If we have a 4-way in the system, we stop along the way and pick it up with the 3-wire so there is a neutral there as well (not that it likely to EVER be needed at that location, lol). Basically, just say no to dead end 3 ways.

FREEBALL

thanx yeah I am going to a landing and then back down to the light so I guess when you think about it its the same wire. Man I remember the old days, Do you remember the California threeways use to do them on farms. thanx again.

bullheimer

there's exceptions to the neutral being run, ie dead end ok, as i see it. if a neutral can be added later: for example, a conduit run. or access (chase). can't do in a new construction being covered up tho.

this is a stupid rule because the device mfgs already came out with many sensors that do not need a neut. but .. oh well.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
this is a stupid rule because the device mfgs already came out with many sensors that do not need a neut. but .. oh well.
And there have been strong objections to continued use of sensors that return their operating power via the EGC. So to be able to discontinue that practice via code or UL listing conditions requires that an alternative return lead (i.e. neutral in the box or neutral easily installed) be made mandatory.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ok Im stuck on 300.3 b3. I would use 2 12/2 w gr. but I am reading that this is not the correct way to go, nowadays. I need to wire a set of 3 ways but what is the solution in regards to having an ungrounded conductor at each switch, for occ sensors. I cannot find 12/4 w/ gr readily available. I am assuming there are some ideas on here. If not I am planning on running a 12/3 along with a 12/2 between boxes so not to create any eddy issues. What is being done in the residential world for threeway/fourway installations.
Is it an ungrounded or grounded conductor at each switch location ?

kbsparky

If you're in York, PA, you can get 12/4 easily:

Just go to CapitalTristate, and order up a 250 foot roll. Their catalog #215290.

Or, cut to length (cat #301408). Cut to length is more expensive per foot, however.

Either way, you'll have it the next day.

FREEBALL

my thought is if the switches are going to be made into occ sensors then you don't need three way switching correct and if not the wiring will be sufficient to reconfigure the switch. KB sparky yeah I deal with rick at tristate known him since the old tristate days when they went from graybills to tristate on mulberry st. many moons ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.