Does ground clamps inside a wall need to be accessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Working on a school. Asked foreman if we need to make the clamps to the cwp and gas pipe accessible . He said no it already passed inspection. What does the code say? Thank you for your help.

iwire

Staff member
250.68(A) Accessibility. All mechanical elements used to terminate a grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to a grounding electrode shall be accessible.

Exception No. 1: An encased or buried connection to a concrete-encased, driven, or buried grounding electrode shall not be required to be accessible.

Exception No. 2: Exothermic or irreversible compression connections used at terminations, together with the mechanical means used to attach such terminations to fire-proofed structural metal whether or not the mechanical means is reversible, shall not be required to be accessible.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It may have passed inspection but the final the inspector may ask for it. So keep it accessible as mentioned by Iwire.

captainwireman

I have normally been required to mount a mud ring and a cover plate. This always confused me because it hardly made the connection accessible for any kind of repair. I would guess this was just for a visual inspection. Also, this was very much AHJ dependent. Even in the same jurisdiction, different inspectors wanted or did not want.

Status
Not open for further replies.