Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerated Trash room

Refrigerated Trash room

I came across something today I have not seen to date. A refrigerated trash room. This enclosed room is located adjacent to the loading dock in a typical mixed use occupancy high rise. The walls are CMU up to concrete deck at ceiling. The refrigeration unit ceiling mounted resemble that of a walk in cooler type. The wiring methods are exposed EMT and FMC to the unit and with set screw connectors, the disconnect for the unit is NEMA 3. Also, the 4 square box (slang term 1900) for AV FA device is standard dry only, luminaire dry only as well. Mechanical Contractor was not on site for information. I did not turn the installation down, just simply quoted section 314.15 and 410.10(A) untill I find out what condition this unit will render....damp? Has anyone dealt with this type of conditioned space before?
    Greg

Electrical Inspector in our Nations Capital

Is a cooler not a dry location? It may be colder than some other room, but so is a garage. Check the rating on the luminaire, most major mfgs. damp rate all of there fixtures, it is not common to find a "dry rated" fixture that would be used in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by DRGREG View Post
    Is a cooler not a dry location? It may be colder than some other room, but so is a garage. Check the rating on the luminaire, most major mfgs. damp rate all of there fixtures, it is not common to find a "dry rated" fixture that would be used in this case.
    Well I look at definition of Damp last sentence and they will be washing this room down in the future that could be a wet location. On that note I am not a "what if inspector" but I am looking at this all around. Also, a cooler as in walk in is not a dry location. The thermostat on this particular unit can be set at 38 degrees and max. 55 degrees. I see condensation and this is a damp location.
    Greg

If the area is going to be washed down I would consider it a wet location.End of story.

If the area is going to be washed down I would consider it a wet location.End of story.
    Fine by me to end the story.....if it were a story. Do you agree that a cooler is a damp location?
    Greg

No, by its nature cooling the air removes moisture. Depending on use moisture is introduced just as it is in any other area.

No, by its nature cooling the air removes moisture. Depending on use moisture is introduced just as it is in any other area.
    True, but any air that leaks in will have mositure condense on the first cold surface it finds. I would expect that to include the inside of the light fixture unless they put duct seal in the conduit.

Some people will put fire alarm annunciators anywhere. :rolleyes:

Just as warm moist summer air leaks into your air conditioned office.

I just got off the phone with the designer (1:35 pm) The unit is designed to actually freeze the trash room to prevent rodents and odors (makes sense). Yes! it is subject to wash down and severe condensation due to opening and closing the door as in a walk in freezer. So yep! here we go as I suspected.They (design team) want wet location equipment in the room and said thanks for bringing that to their attention. Oversight on their part for not specifing that on the plans. Thanks DRGREG and Steve.
    Greg

Are the cooler/freezer evaporator units wet location rated? Most of the units I have seen have ODP (open drip proof) motors and would not withstand wash down. Wash down will not make any part of the system easy to install. NEMA 4 or 4X may be required.