Arc fault RECEPTACLE to protect ONE dining room outlet. is this allowed..or use combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank33161

Occupation
Electrician, Semi-Retired
Hi guys,

Forgive me if my question is naive. I have been out of the trade for awhile and am doing my best to catch up on the code changes.

Regarding Arc Fault. Can I use an arc fault outlet to protect the one recpt. in the dining room ..

background info: This is a small cottage, I fed the one dining room outlet off the kitchen appliance circuit.

Why you ask is there only one outlet in the dining room? Well, the dining room is actually also the living room with a section against one wall for a eating table. Above this table is a sconce on the wall ( not on the appliance circuit- cant share the recpt with lights). The other outlets in the rooms living area are not on this wall and could not reasonably be used as anything related to being needed in a dining room. So I want to put this one plug on an arc fault..options are arc fault outlet,,or protect the kitchen on arc fault and gfi....or just run a circuit to the one outlet.

suggestions??

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you think the basic wiring is good you can choose to put in an AFCI breaker, an AFCI receptacle upstream of the receptacle in question or just install a single AFCI receptacle there.
The first two will provide more protection to other wiring, but will also potentially have more nuisance trips or show up wiring which needs repair.
Required AFCI protection often cannot be provided by a receptacle device except upstream. If it is not required, it can be placed anywhere but it is not clear what it will be protecting.
If you want a high sensitivity GFCI as well, you are pretty much forced to use the breaker for one and a receptacle device (maybe even mounted at the panel) for the other.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.