troubleshooting training

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I'm looking for troubleshooting books, DVD's and or reference materials. Feedback and recommendations are appreciated

Have a 'good' electrician wire a home. Have him 'just' place all the wires in the proper outlets (boxes).

Now with your wiggy 'tie' the 'boxes' in. Understand?

Try it on a rough first. Then on a finish. Then see if you can have all 4 ways and 3 ways pointing down and do all this with the power off!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Have a 'good' electrician wire a home. Have him 'just' place all the wires in the proper outlets (boxes).

Now with your wiggy 'tie' the 'boxes' in. Understand? No!

Try it on a rough first. Then on a finish. Then see if you can have all 4 ways and 3 ways pointing down and do all this with the power off!

What does all this have to do with troubleshooting?

RLyons

Now with your wiggy 'tie' the 'boxes' in. Understand?

How do you use a wiggy with the power off???

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't have a older style wiggy to verify but i know a vol-con does have continuity tester (Vol=voltage & Con=continuity hence vol-con tester)

Does the older (original) wiggy have continuity tester built in?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I don't have a older style wiggy to verify but i know a vol-con does have continuity tester (Vol=voltage & Con=continuity hence vol-con tester)

Does the older (original) wiggy have continuity tester built in?

Mine does. My orange (1993) one did (got liberated). My blue (2000?) one does.

kwired

Electron manager
What does all this have to do with troubleshooting?
How would you make connections for such an install, especially if you didn't install it, and have it right the first time it is energized? Seems to me you would use some of the skills you would use for finding a problem with something that stopped working, or never worked to begin with.

How do you use a wiggy with the power off???
I think the point was to use a continuity tester/ohmmeter. There are more voltage/continuity testers out there than just wiggy or volt-con, and many are called one of those two names even if they are not genuine wiggy or volt-con products.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
How would you make connections for such an install, especially if you didn't install it, and have it right the first time it is energized? Seems to me you would use some of the skills you would use for finding a problem with something that stopped working, or never worked to begin with.

I think the point was to use a continuity tester/ohmmeter. There are more voltage/continuity testers out there than just wiggy or volt-con, and many are called one of those two names even if they are not genuine wiggy or volt-con products.

My reply was based on a few things.
1). The OP is a master electrician and he was told to have a good electrician to wire something without terminating. I would hope the OP could do that.

2). Didn't understand why a wiggy and not just any meter with continuity test. You could do it with any Ohm meter.

3). What possible difference would it make whether a 3 or 4-way switch pointed up or down?

ETA: I am about to start such a job. A building was roughed but the home runs aren't marked, or so that you can read it anyway. None of the boxes are made up, nor none of the sheathing has been taken off the NM.
I don't even know which are switches or receptacles in some places because of where they are placed.:happyno:

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
My reply was based on a few things.

I don't even know which are switches or receptacles in some places because of where they are placed.:happyno:

That is why this would be good training for you.

Whether or not the light is on, silly basset. :p

Just wanted to see if you could do it.

Simple one:

In an outlet you have two NM 12WG. The outlet will have a GFCI installed. One NM is connected in the panel.

With the power off can you tell me which is the line and which is the load? Only testing at the outlet?:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.