Question about bond bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry C

I am installing 2 generators. My question is When you connect the conduits to the generators with sealtite do you have to put bond bushings on both ends or just on the generator end?

raider1

Staff member
What voltage are the generators?

You might not even need a bonding bushing at all.

Chris

P.S. welcome to the forum.:)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Unless the generators are very small you will have to bond around the sealtight, but you bonding bushings would not be required.

raider1

Staff member
Harry C,

Is the conduits for the gererators being used as the equipment grounding conductors?

I believe that is what Don was getting at.

Sealtight flex used as an equipment grounding conductor is limited by 250.118(6).

Chris

billdozier

Im thinking that you only need to bond one end. I seem to recall an electrician once telling me if you bond both ends you are in effect choking the egc? off Am I understanding this correctly?

JES2727

I've never used a bonding bushing on either end of the raceway containing the generator leads, and I've never been red-tagged for it.

Karl H

I am installing 2 generators. My question is When you connect the conduits to the generators with sealtite do you have to put bond bushings on both ends or just on the generator end?

When you say "Sealtite" are you reffering to LFMC or LFNC?
To me, "Sealtite" is LFNC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Sorry Don That does not make sense...almost a contradiction to a degree.
No contradiction...you can bond around the sealtight without using bonding bushings. As a matter of fact, the use of a bonding bushing would not change the requirement to bond around the sealtight. I would use a grounding sealtight connector with an external bonding jumper to bond around the sealtight. Note that this is required even if you are not using the sealtight as the EGC, if the raceway is metallic.

arossi

I don't believe it needs a bonding bushing unless you are using the sealtight as a GEC or EQG. But if the conduit is only a 1.25" than let me ask you, what harm is there in installing a bonding bushing anyway?

On a second note: How do I start a thread. Have a question would like to ask?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
On a second note: How do I start a thread. Have a question would like to ask?

Go near the top left of the page under the Mike Holt banner and click on Mike Holt Forum. Choose the category you want to post in and at the top left there will be a red post that says New topic or questions.
newthread.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.