residential switch and outlet height

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I agree the ADA is more restrictive but there are a few NEC sections.

Switches, 6' -7" maximum for all most all applications. {404.8(A)}

Receptacles being installed as required by 210.52 must be no more then 5' - 6" off the floor {210.52(4)} and if located on the floor must be within 18" of the wall {210.52(A)(3)}.

Mule

Around here, traditionaly, the switches are set at 48 5/8" from the ceiling joist on a traditional 8ft ceiling (which is actually becoming less traditional). Higher ceilings carry the same intention but with different numbers.

This allows for the ceiling rock, and the first coarse of rock on the wall. Then the rocker only has to cut the lower course for the switch.

Recepts are set any where from 12" to 14-16" to the top on customs, and if I get to choose its the higher since my belly gets in the way...:D

daleuger

18" and 48" above floor to center for receptacles and switches respectively is typical around here, fwiw.

That's the ADA maximums they were talking about earlier. About that height actually works out pretty decent for most people IMO....unless they call you "Tiny" because you hit your head on ceiling fans.

corona

re: switch and outlet heights, residential

re: switch and outlet heights, residential

thanks for all the input. it seems odd that the NEC doesnt have anything specific to say about it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Most of my switches are set to either 48" or 50" and receptacles are around 18" to the top of the box as I use my hammer to set the box height.:smile:
I use the hammer method, too, if it's not otherwise specified, and cut a stick for switch boxes.

It's funny having to tell the guys to make sure they use the same hammer, at least in any one room.

480sparky

I use the hammer method, too, if it's not otherwise specified, and cut a stick for switch boxes.

It's funny having to tell the guys to make sure they use the same hammer, at least in any one room.

Having two guys boxing on a resi job, especially in the same room, is a waste of resources.

One person boxes, the other should be drilling holes.

FWIW, I use the hammer-n-stick method too.

daleuger

Yeah we call that a dummy stick. Guess it lives up to the name.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Having two guys boxing on a resi job, especially in the same room, is a waste of resources.

One person boxes, the other should be drilling holes.
I didn't mean more than one guy in a room, just to not assume all hammers are the same length.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
And, if this is an addition to an existing building, or new opennings installed in an existing building, the heights are already determined by the original wiring intallers. Match the new to the old.

480sparky

I didn't mean more than one guy in a room, just to not assume all hammers are the same length.

No matter how many guys I would have on a resi job, only one would be boxing. That's all that's needed. This makes the size of hammers a moot point. The other guy(s) should be hauling in NM and getting the drill & cord out. If there's more than two, one should be starting on the service.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No matter how many guys I would have on a resi job, only one would be boxing. That's all that's needed. This makes the size of hammers a moot point. The other guy(s) should be hauling in NM and getting the drill & cord out. If there's more than two, one should be starting on the service.
Okay, let's say it's just one guy with access to more than one hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.