lighting install

Status
Not open for further replies.

eds

I have a stair light installation that goes like this. Core drill 2 1/2'' hole in a exterior poured stair wall curved no less. Fixtures selected are a Line voltage GU10 MR16 with a 5' low voltage lead attached (fixture company spec). I am thinking of doing one of two things, using a butt crimp inside the core hole with 1/2 pvc out the back each pvc will run to a exterior gutter, or 1/2 conduit daisy chained from hole to hole with fixture make up in each hole. Back side of stair wall is open now, but will be back filled soon. Total of 11 lights to install and L.V. is not a good option due to a future pool installation that would put lights to close

220/221

I read it....but I don't get it.

Line volt fixture with low volt lead ?

2 1/2" hole with 1/2" pvc going out the back?

LV not an option because of future pool? Does LV in this case = line or low voltage?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I read it....but I don't get it.

Line volt fixture with low volt lead ?

2 1/2" hole with 1/2" pvc going out the back?

LV not an option because of future pool? Does LV in this case = line or low voltage?

I think this is a line voltage fixture with a self contained transformer. That's why it is line voltage with MR 16 bulbs. 2 1/2" hole for the fixture but come out the back with a smaller hole for the 1/2" pvc. I think that's it.

eds

The fixture takes a GU 10 120v MR16 so it is a line voltage fixture. I would like to core drill the holes and utilize 1/2 pvc out the back of the core hole. I am just wondering about making my connection in the core hole w/out a box. The reason I am not going with low voltage is because of the proximity to the pool. The fixture cut sheet state that it comes with 5' of 12/2 low voltage wire so I have a call into the manuf about that.

nunu161

i dont know if im seeing the big picture right but, why not just put a pvc box on the otherside and run the wire right into it? if the wire is short change it with a longer whip

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The fixture takes a GU 10 120v MR16 so it is a line voltage fixture. I would like to core drill the holes and utilize 1/2 pvc out the back of the core hole. I am just wondering about making my connection in the core hole w/out a box. The reason I am not going with low voltage is because of the proximity to the pool. The fixture cut sheet state that it comes with 5' of 12/2 low voltage wire so I have a call into the manuf about that.

Well the fixture cannot be line voltage and come with low voltage cable. Something is amiss. What is the make and model of this fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.