Tamper resistant receptacles EXPANED??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the 2008 Code just been adopted and all ready, there is talks of expanding the T.R. recetacles for all accessible public areas, especially if they have children in the area. This in grocery stores, waiting lobbys, malls etc.. The List goes on and on.

Its already required in our area in waiting rooms and Exam rooms in health care facilities, but to talk about taking this to the next level already I think is a bit much!! Any other areas where they talking of expanding the requirements of T.R. receptacles.

JohnJ0906

Well, the 2008 Code just been adopted and all ready, there is talks of expanding the T.R. recetacles for all accessible public areas, especially if they have children in the area. This in grocery stores, waiting lobbys, malls etc.. The List goes on and on.

Was this a 2011 proposal?

mweaver

... There are proposals to the 2011 ...

... There are proposals to the 2011 ...

I found this when researching through 2011 proposals not yet acted upon by CMP 18:
(... I am not smart enough to incorporate this ROP with proper text formatting such as strike out and underlining, so it may be problematic to read as I have psoted it...)

18-63 Log #1734 NEC-P18

Bryan Walter, Wichita Electrical JATC

Revise text to read as follows:
406.11 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles.
(A) In Dwelling Units. In all areas specified in 210.52, all 125-volt, 15 and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.

(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. In all areas designated for children or similar areas, all 125-volt, 15 and 20-ampere receptacles that are accessible to children shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.
FPN: Examples of these areas would be daycare, preschool, indoor play areas or areas designated for children.

This proposal is the work of a task group formed by the 2nd Year Apprenticeship Class 2C of 2008.

Kenneth Bascombe, Pedro Diaz, Josh Hershey, Philip King, Dan Mruk, Matt Rader, Austin Snook, Bryson Stanhope, Paul Underwood, Bryan Walter and Darryl Hill.

This task group has concluded the following substantiation:
Shock hazards exist at day cares, pre-schools, and similar areas for children, where child to adult ratios can be high. It can only take seconds for children to come in contact and be exposed to a potential shock hazard. If the concern for children exists in a dwelling unit, shouldn't we have the same concern in other areas where children can come in contact with receptacles? We must not forget that 90.1(A) says this code is for the safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity. We feel as a task group that tamper-resistant receptacles are a very practical way of safeguarding our children regardless of where their location may be, in a dwelling or in a day care/pre-school setting.

There are others and they can be found here (Proposals to Section 406.11 begin on page 197 of this document:

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF/ROP/NEC P18.pdf

mweaver

charlie

mweaver, I don't believe the proposal made it in the panel vote. That doesn't mean that it didn't make it via the written ballot. There is also the comment period. :smile:

mweaver

Thanks Charlie,

I don't have access to anything other than the 2011 CMP proposals not yet acted upon.

As I understand it the voting is pretty much all done, but the results of said voting is not yet public knowledge...

Do you have the date handy as to when the action of the proposals will be available (to plain ole folk like me)?

mweaver

charlie

. . . Do you have the date handy as to when the action of the proposals will be available . . .
The Technical Correlating Committee (normally just called the TCC) will meet April 27-May 1, 2009 but I don't know when their ballots are to be submitted. I am guessing the ROP will be out by the end of June. :smile:

dbuckley

More than that, once all receipticals are TR then you wont need to dual stock and neither will the supply house; there will just be TR, used everywhere. Once the demand for non-TR drys up, NEC or no NEC, then non-TR will be gone.

charlie

I certainly don't have as much of a problem with TR receptacles as I do the AFCIs. Add 100 TR cost to a home and you have not even spent $100 and the cost will go down with time. :)

M. D.

If the code panel believes that TR receptacles are required to meet the purpose of 90.1 ,.. I'm not sure why they are not required for every receptacle everywhere,.. if it is to protect "the children" only ,..it seems it is a design specification .. slippery slope if you were to ask me.

I also had a thought about the attachment of many of the smoke alarms ,.. are those receptacles??? I also saw in the 2011 proposals that there is a new luminaire receptacle ,.. will this also be required to TR??

Mr. Bill

Good old foot in the door tactic. Get the TR's required in one place to save the children and soon it's everywhere to save the children. Can't be too careful. I would love for there to be some sort of cost per life saved requirement. Something like $10M/year for adults and $100M/year for children. The statistics would probably get manipulated like all statistics generally do. I remember then citing some study, to get the TR required, showing half of 4-year-old could remove those plastic plug inserts. First, they were told to remove the plugs. Second, how many kids would have a two part strategy of removing the plastic guard and then inserting a hair pin.

You know cars are the number one killer of children in the US. I don't see car makers in the same standards for children's safety. Car's would get very expensive and probably need some safety device like that Stalone movie Demolition Man.
2003 data. Electrical might be a portion of the Fire/Burn category. A very small portion.
Unintentional Injury 12,035
Motor Vehicle 7,677
Drowning 1,062
Fire/Burn 551
Poisoning 650
Suffocation/Strangulation 910
Firearm 151

Status
Not open for further replies.