Now that it is 2014 - replacement outlets AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So now that It is 2014 and the AFCI for replacement receptacles is now the law for most code cycles how are you folks out there dealing with this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So now that It is 2014 and the AFCI for replacement receptacles is now the law for most code cycles how are you folks out there dealing with this?

As Ron stated-- normally there is not an inspection on those jobs. P&S is suppose to come out with one soon but as far as I know it is not out yet. Leviton has one.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
We very rarely see outlet replacements here. Homeowner, handyman or electrician on a service call replaces them.

So that is my Question. What do you folks do. Or better stated what are you going to do?

So what if it is not inspected.

when was the last time you did work in a kitchen and had to replace receptacles in a older home that did not have GFCI protection. Did you ignored installing them because you WERE NOT GETTING INSPECTED!

mgawat

System Co,mbination AFCI Requirements

System Co,mbination AFCI Requirements

Per Leviton and 2014 210.12 (4):

The OBS AFCI (AFCI Receptacle) must be compatible with the listed standard overcurrent device in order to meet the requirements of 210.12. Does anyone know if any standard breakers that are so listed?:slaphead::?

rcarroll

So that is my Question. What do you folks do. Or better stated what are you going to do?

So what if it is not inspected.

when was the last time you did work in a kitchen and had to replace receptacles in a older home that did not have GFCI protection. Did you ignored installing them because you WERE NOT GETTING INSPECTED!
I guess we're going to hope that whoever changes outlets knows the code. We can't police everyone who goes to the big box stores to buy from folks who have no clue.
I assure you that when I performed service work, I did it to code. I can sleep at night.:thumbsup:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I guess we're going to hope that whoever changes outlets knows the code. We can't police everyone who goes to the big box stores to buy from folks who have no clue.
I assure you that when I performed service work, I did it to code. I can sleep at night.:thumbsup:

So once again when you do service work are you going to install an afci recept when you do have to make a replacement ?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I no longer perform service work. I'm an inspector. In the event I do anything electrical at my house, I will do it to current codes. I will still sleep at night.:happyyes:

OK then, I redirect my question to those that do service work.

But in the rare case you might be replacing a outlet , would you make it AFCI protected?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I must say I would not use AFCI receptacles unless forced by inspection. I don't want the call backs.

Then again, both the OP and I are in CA, which is just now going to the 2011 NEC, which I don't believe has the replacement requirement.

Oh yes , 2011 does require AFCI as replacements!!!!!! check out 406

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
yup horse puckey !!!! That is why i posed the question.

How much more crap is in the new code?

Leviton has them I have one in ivory and one in White on the truck.

Read it and weeeeepppppppp:

(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Where a
receptacl outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that
requires arc-fault circuit interrupter protection as specified
elsewhere in this Code, a replacememt receptacle at this
outlet shall be one of the following
(1) A listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit
interupter receplacle
(2) A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch
circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter type
receptacle
(3) A receptacle protected by a listed combination type
arc-fault circuit interupter type circuit breaker
This requirement becomes effective January I. 2014.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why not make it a combination AFCI/GFCI so you could replace a 2 wire receptacle with a 3 wire?

I must be missing something.
Because nobody seems to make them at this time.
(A preference to sell two devices, one of them a breaker, instead of just one? Or maybe technical limitations putting them into the same package when using the 6ma sensitivity?)
Don't forget tamper resistant too, just to kill more space inside the device. :)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
How would you use an Arc Fault receptacle anyway for a replacement ?

Since the wiring from the Ovecurrent protection device to the first outlet is more than likely in Romex in an existing dwelling ,and the 2011 Code does not allowed you to install an Arc Fault Device at the Outlet location unless the wiring is contained within Rigid,IMC, Emt or MC between the panel and the first outlet.

Or has this changed in 2014?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes in the NEC 2014 it has changed ,
But you need to read through the 2011 as it appears that all you need is just the AFCI receptacle at the first place you replace them.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
and the Arc Fault receptacle had to be installed in the first outlet to fed all the other downstream receptacles.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
2011 only allowed you to install an arc fault receptacle if it was installed at the first outlet and the wiring between the Ovecurrent device in the panel and the first outlet was in Rigid,IMC,EMT or MC.

Otherwise you had to install an Arc Fault Breaker.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Look at 406 2011 nec.

(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Where a
receptacl outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that
requires arc-fault circuit interrupter protection as specified
elsewhere in this Code, a replacememt receptacle at this
outlet shall be one of the following
(1) A listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit
interupter receplacle
(2) A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch
circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter type
receptacle
(3) A receptacle protected by a listed combination type
arc-fault circuit interupter type circuit breaker
This requirement becomes effective January I. 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.