elevator control room

Status
Not open for further replies.
was told by an elevator inspector today that all piping in a control room has to be above 7 ft. including electric, plumbing etc.
is this a nec code, any truth to this.

sfav8r

was told by an elevator inspector today that all piping in a control room has to be above 7 ft. including electric, plumbing etc.

I've never wired an elevator control room from scratch but I've been in plenty of them. I would say it is virtually impossible to wire the elevator control room without having the electrical conduit below 7'. The only thing I can think of is if he's talking about head clearance.

Take a look at this EC&M article on elevator control rooms. You can see from the photos that there is plenty of conduit below 7'.

http://ecmweb.com/content/electrical-ups-and-downs-elevator-design

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is this just the elevator control room or is it also the elevator machine room? For the latter there might be an issue about clearance for lifting equipment, etc. to service or replace the machinery. But if so, that would definitely not be part of the NEC.

The NEC limits what non-electrical equipment and piping you can put directly over some types of electrical equipment. The idea behind that is probably to dedicate space for rewiring in the future.

mgookin

Is he talking about something on a wall or something in the middle of the room going from one wall to another?

You can't have conduit 5' AFF in the middle of the room. You're going to trap a workman in there. You need to maintain 6'8" for egress and 7' for celing height; it's probably the 7' he does not want encroached.

Status
Not open for further replies.