Maximum lenght of run for emt before j box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a "discussion" with my boss about how often you have to put a j box in a run of emt. I know that every 360 degrees you have to have a j box. He is telling me every 100'. I have always installed j boxes every 100' for the ease of pulling but I don't recall a code on it. I'm a little rusty on the code but almost 100% positive on my call.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

There is no NEC requirement to install j-boxes after any specific length of conduit run. The only requirement is that you install a pulling point after 360 degrees of bends are installed.

I have seen engineering specifications that have required a j-box every 100 feet though.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

No limit but keep in mind the limit of fish tapes and your the guy pulling it.
Lot depends on how many bends, size of emt,number of wires,stranded or solid. I agree that more than 100 and it could get tough. A trick i like to do is add a box in middle of a straight run. That way you can pull straight thru it if you can but have the option to stop mid way if needed.

physis

It's not required but there's nothing wrong with adding a box if it makes life easier.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am in a "discussion" with my boss about how often you have to put a j box in a run of emt. I know that every 360 degrees you have to have a j box. He is telling me every 100'. I have always installed j boxes every 100' for the ease of pulling but I don't recall a code on it. I'm a little rusty on the code but almost 100% positive on my call.

If the boss says you have to install a jbox every 100', then you have to do so.

walkerj

So if the spec calls for a J-box every so many feet and you have a sign or light(luminaire) 500' away, what do you do?

Do you mount five underground pull boxes?:D

480sparky

that would make for a lot of handholes in the underground installations
So if the spec calls for a J-box every so many feet and you have a sign or light(luminaire) 500' away, what do you do?

Do you mount five underground pull boxes?:D

Underground with EMT?

I am in a "discussion" with my boss about how often you have to put a j box in a run of emt. I know that every 360 degrees.........

e57

No limit but keep in mind the limit of fish tapes and your the guy pulling it.
~
I once blew a 500' length of string into a 3" conduit with an air compressor - that pulled a larger string which then pulled a rope that pulled a larger rope. So the limit is how far you can get with whatever method be it tape, blowing/sucking or for that matter tied 10' pieces - only the wire needs to go through completed conduit - not the means to pull it. :rolleyes: And yes that is still limited to 360 - but for a length of a 100' + I would limit it more - and oversize the conduit - especially if I cant get to it to beat it.

Jim W in Tampa

thanks guys, I'm all for a box every 100', I have done that for 15yrs, but my boss told me it was code and I told him I'm almost positive it isn't. So now I,ll bring it up to him.

Thanks Again :D:D
Well invite your boss to the forum. As a general rule unless nec uses that famous word SHALL NOT then it probably is ok. Many old timers forget what is actually code and what they were simply told was 20 years ago. But if the man signs your check then it be best to do as he wishes. Adding a box is not a big deal. Slows you down but most are paid by the hour not foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.