Generator question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbe

Will be installing a interlock kit and connection box for a customer for there portable generator. they plan on leaving the portable generator beside the house on a pad with some type of cover , now heres the question do I need to ground the frame of the portable genny to the ground rod? Thanks for any help...

electricalperson

Will be installing a interlock kit and connection box for a customer for there portable generator. they plan on leaving the portable generator beside the house on a pad with some type of cover , now heres the question do I need to ground the frame of the portable genny to the ground rod? Thanks for any help...

read article 250.34 you dont have to install a rod for portable generators if it complies with the requirements

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

portable generators require no grounding electrode. i don't know the code # off the top of my head; sorry.

nakulak

if they are putting in a pad and leaving it next to the house all the time with a cover, is it really a portable generator or is it fixed in place ?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Do a quick read on 240.34 in the installation described by the OP I think you would be skirting it.

I assume you mean 250.34.

As a portable generator, this installation will be cord-and-plug connected unless the OP modifies the generator in some sort.

Assuming the OP makes no modifications to the generator, which would undoubtedly void the warranty, this installation does not require connection to an electrode.

Its still portable, and the customer might want to move it to another location at some point and then return it to the house.

If the OP decides to modify the front panel that houses the receptacles to make a hard-wired connection, you would have a valid argument.

iwire

Staff member
I assume you mean 250.34.

As a portable generator, this installation will be cord-and-plug connected unless the OP modifies the generator in some sort.

Assuming the OP makes no modifications to the generator, which would undoubtedly void the warranty, this installation does not require connection to an electrode.

Its still portable, and the customer might want to move it to another location at some point and then return it to the house.

If the OP decides to modify the front panel that houses the receptacles to make a hard-wired connection, you would have a valid argument.

I agree, if the generator was shipped as a portable generator it remains a portable generator even if the owner never moves it.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I am not referencing the portability but I am looking at is a house a cord and plug connected equipment? look at 250.34 (A0 (1) .

I'm unsure of what you're trying to say here.

That code says if its cord-and-plug connected, it does not require an electrode. Just what I said above.

I feel confident that's what we're looking at here unless the OP comes back to say otherwise.

Rewire

I'm unsure of what you're trying to say here.

That code says if its cord-and-plug connected, it does not require an electrode. Just what I said above.

I feel confident that's what we're looking at here unless the OP comes back to say otherwise.

my first instructor some 30m years ago said you have to rtead every word in the code.

(1) The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator,cord-and-plug-connected EQUIPMENT through receptacles mountedon the generator,or both

My point is do you consider a dwelling unit a piece of EQUIPMENT ?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
my first instructor some 30m years ago said you have to rtead every word in the code.

(1) The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator,cord-and-plug-connected EQUIPMENT through receptacles mountedon the generator,or both

My point is do you consider a dwelling unit a piece of EQUIPMENT ?

the dwelling is not a piece of equipment; but its electrical service and the equipment connected to it is.

Rewire

the dwelling is not a piece of equipment; but its electrical service and the equipment connected to it is.

I think the intent of the code was to allow a portable generator to power drills and such and to have the ability to be moved from site to site I think it is a stretch to consider a transfer panel in that same vien as this equipment is actually hardwired nto the permenant power supply and the cord is not a permenat part of this equipment.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I think the intent of the code was to allow a portable generator to power drills and such and to have the ability to be moved from site to site I think it is a stretch to consider a transfer panel in that same vien as this equipment is actually hardwired nto the permenant power supply and the cord is not a permenat part of this equipment.

its no different than a vehicle mounted transformer that can be driven on-site for backup power to a facility.

the services on those buildings are built to allow connection to these generators; no different than the OP's situation.

Rewire

its no different than a vehicle mounted transformer that can be driven on-site for backup power to a facility.

the services on those buildings are built to allow connection to these generators; no different than the OP's situation.

I am not trying to change the code I just feel that in this aplication going beyond the code requirement would be something I would do. I remember back in 1999 setting up several mobile generaters and we would always ground the frames to the buildings ground system.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I am not trying to change the code I just feel that in this aplication going beyond the code requirement would be something I would do. I remember back in 1999 setting up several mobile generaters and we would always ground the frames to the buildings ground system.

nothing wrong with you wanting to do it your way.

but its not required and not necessary.

the frame will be grounded to the system of the structure its serving through the cord-and-plug connection.

Rewire

nothing wrong with you wanting to do it your way.

but its not required and not necessary.

the frame will be grounded to the system of the structure its serving through the cord-and-plug connection.

Maybe and maybe not,my way I would know it was . In 2005 NEC AFCI breakers were not needed or necessary for living room outlets.Maybe in 2011......

Status
Not open for further replies.