filling up greenlee hydrolic hand punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Well you look for your filling bolt on it then you only pour in greenlee fluid dont use any other type it will ruin the seals inside . just enough not all the way spilling out of the top say 1/4 inch below opening . Before filling release pressure ! take care its easy

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
you only pour in greenlee fluid dont use any other type it will ruin the seals inside

So Greenlee uses custom made seals that disintegrate with the use of 'normal' hydraulic fluids? :grin:

IMO it is a crock in order for Greenlee to sell high priced "Greenlee" fluid. If it was my own tool I would use almost any 10 weight petroleum product.

A-1Sparky

The Greenlee hydraulic punch that I have has a cap at the end of the cylinder that just screws off. You pour your fluid in, screw the cap back on, and you're good to go.

ohmhead

So Greenlee uses custom made seals that disintegrate with the use of 'normal' hydraulic fluids? :grin:

IMO it is a crock in order for Greenlee to sell high priced "Greenlee" fluid. If it was my own tool I would use almost any 10 weight petroleum product. Well we dont agree with it but our tool room says it must be greenlee fluid kinda like the 881 benders so if you have lots of greenlee tools its a factory req fluid or your out of warranty your choice? take care

iwire

Staff member
Well we dont agree with it but our tool room says it must be greenlee fluid kinda like the 881 benders so if you have lots of greenlee tools its a factory req fluid or your out of warranty your choice? take care

But we are not talking about a $7K 881 are we? :smile:

I believe it is against the law for them to terminate the warranty just because you used another product. The car makers have tried that and lost.

ohmhead

Well we use to sae wt hyd fld in most tools years ago but everyones so high tech today and correct its funny i use to work for a company that made there own tools tuggers , wire feeders, and there own mandrels made from old used tries cut with say 3 or 4 inch hole saw and strung on a stainless steel cord just attach to a pull rope cleaned and swabbed out the conduit better than the greenlee high tech pipe mandels they have now and no damage to the conduit or getting stuck . take care

Last edited:

ceb58

Not sure but in that case your violating a code rule as well.

Would you say taking your truck to a local service station for non OEM brakes voids your vehicle warranty?

I agree with Bob, the mfg. want you to be intimidated into using their higher priced supplies for the equipment. When in fact the same fluid is produced under many name brands and depending on what name determines the price for the exact same product.
This past fall my son and I were in a farm supply store, he wanted to pick up a salt block for deer hunting. In the nice hunting supply display they had 1lb blocks of salt nicely wraped with plastic with pictures of deer on it. $10.00. I told him to follow me, we went to the rear of the store where the cattle supplies were, picked up a unwrapped 50lb block for $7.00. It's all in the packaging.

ohm

I agree with Bob, the mfg. want you to be intimidated into using their higher priced supplies for the equipment. When in fact the same fluid is produced under many name brands and depending on what name determines the price for the exact same product.
This past fall my son and I were in a farm supply store, he wanted to pick up a salt block for deer hunting. In the nice hunting supply display they had 1lb blocks of salt nicely wraped with plastic with pictures of deer on it. $10.00. I told him to follow me, we went to the rear of the store where the cattle supplies were, picked up a unwrapped 50lb block for $7.00. It's all in the packaging.

Good call. HD sells #10 screws for $5/100 in the fastener section. In the electrical section you can buy a kit of the same screws and plastic inserts and a concrete bit and a box for $5/100.

K2X

IMO it is a crock in order for Greenlee to sell high priced "Greenlee" fluid. If it was my own tool I would use almost any 10 weight petroleum product.

Same story with meyers snow plow pumps. They must get their seals from the same place. I wonder if I can put my plow fluid in my greenlee?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.