Offset lug vs compression lug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

Is offset terminal lug sufficient to serve as termination of GEC (and it's bonding jumpers) to copper terminal block as permitted in 250.64 F (3).
Or do I have to use compression lugs at the end of wires?

If I may ask more.... I have same question for SDS grounding. And what if I have solid 6AWG wire?
So basically... When does one have use the compression lugs?

Is the compression lug only a manifesto of electrical trade pride? :)

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• offset lug.jpg
    offset lug.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
  • compression lug.jpeg
    compression lug.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Most, if not all, offset terminals are listed for grounding.
To make sure you can check the manufacturer data sheets.
The Code requires irreversible compression type connectors for grounding electrode conductor splices splices as noted in 250.64(C) and, if I understand it correctly, where the connections are covered by fireproofing as noted in 250.68

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
The Code requires irreversible compression type connectors for grounding electrode conductor splices splices as noted in 250.64(C) and, if I understand it correctly, where the connections are covered by fireproofing as noted in 250.68
But this lug (either type) is not a splice, it is a termination point. Only way it is a splice is if you would bolt two lugs together for the purpose of making a splice. The bolt that connects it to other items isn't necessarily "irreversible"

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
agreed. never indicated otherwise . only made mention to reference where the "compression required" thinking often originates.

Status
Not open for further replies.