Recessed panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Surface you can use strut, wedge andchors etc. but when a panel is mounted recessed is it attached to studs? How is this framed out if studs are 16" o.c. and the panel width can vary? How is the panel attached when recessed? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are a few ways to do it. If it must go in before the walls are framed then it would need to be mounted on some type of strut or framework. If the walls are already framed it can be mounted right to the studs. The 16" OC studs are the carpenter's problem we just move them to suit the enclosure. :)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Surface you can use strut, wedge andchors etc. but when a panel is mounted recessed is it attached to studs? How is this framed out if studs are 16" o.c. and the panel width can vary? How is the panel attached when recessed? Thanks

14 1/4" or 14.25" is a common size and should fit between studs.

Don't forget to read 312.

312.3 Position in Wall. In walls of concrete, tile, or other
noncombustible material, cabinets shall be installed so that
the front edge of the cabinet is not set back of the finished
surface more than 6 mm (1?4 in.). In walls constructed of
wood or other combustible material, cabinets shall be flush
with the finished surface or project therefrom.

mstrlucky74

There are a few ways to do it. If it must go in before the walls are framed then it would need to be mounted on some type of strut or framework. If the walls are already framed it can be mounted right to the studs. The 16" OC studs are the carpenter's problem we just move them to suit the enclosure. :)

Thanks Inf... So you'll mount a 400a to the studs? And what would you use to mount it? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks Inf... So you'll mount a 400a to the studs? And what would you use to mount it? Thanks

Depends, you didn't mention a 400 amp in the OP. I probably would not use standard gauge studs as the sole mounting for a large 400 amp panelboard but it really depends on big and heavy the thing is. The advantage to using studs is that you can get the front edge perfectly flush with the finished wall. A combination of studs and strut might be needed. 1/4-20 bolts and nuts are as strong as the studs so a few of them on each side would do.

kwired

Electron manager
14 1/4" or 14.25" is a common size and should fit between studs.
14.25 is common for "loadcenters". Many commercial panelboards are 20" wide plus there is good chance of that with OP's 400 amp panel.

Good chance it is also a cabinet deeper than what will fit flush in 2x4 framed walls.

iwire

Staff member
14.25 is common for "loadcenters". Many commercial panelboards are 20" wide plus there is good chance of that with OP's 400 amp panel.

Good chance it is also a cabinet deeper than what will fit flush in 2x4 framed walls.

Yes, often just under 21" wide and 6.75" deep.

keith gigabyte

How about a column width load center 400 amp..may be tall and deep but you will be able to mount in very narrow opening. Just a though..I'd check listing to see if allowed in wood frame construction.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The panel must also be designed to be flush mounted. Not all of them are.

Is this for residential or commercial?

kwired

Electron manager
The panel must also be designed to be flush mounted. Not all of them are.

Is this for residential or commercial?
Where do you get that from? A flush mount cover for a flush mount installation looks better but a surface mount cover is still code compliant.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Where do you get that from? A flush mount cover for a flush mount installation looks better I agree 100% but a surface mount cover is still code compliant.

I never said a flush mount panel can not be surface mounted. But not all panels are designed to be mounted both ways.

If the panel is surface mount installation only, it will be violation to flush mount.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I never said a flush mount panel can not be surface mounted. But not all panels are designed to be mounted both ways.

If the panel is surface mount installation only, it will be violation to flush mount.

Does someone make a surface mount only panel?

Judging from the OP's comment about 16" OC I would guess that these are commercial panels.

mstrlucky74

That is also a NEMA 3R cabinet. I don't think you will find hardly any 3R cabinets that would work well flush mounted. I think there are semi flush models however. My earlier comments were primarily intended only for NEMA 1 enclosures.

How did you know that was a NEMA 3R just by looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.