Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ampacity of SO cable

Ampacity of SO cable

Does someone have a good chart to begin sizing large SO cable?

My specific issue now is sizing 200 amps (service rating) of five wire 480. Open air service feeding a custom heavy truck trailer.
    3/0 is gonna be crazy heavy.
    The better cords I have seen are fine strand like DLO and I want to make sure I take advantage of this fact. My length is only 50'. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

The ampacity of flexible cords and cables can be found in 400.5(A) and Tables 400.5(A) and (B).

Chris

Welcome to the forum.

In a situation like this could you use heavy duty generator cables with the pin and sleeve connector's? Not sure where to find ampacity for those type of cables. Probably somewhere in the nec, I just don't know what the code letters are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Jay View Post
    3/0 is gonna be crazy heavy.
    Copper weighs what it weighs . I'd say you're looking at type SC cable, sized in 400.5(B). Looks like you're at 2/0 for 200a at 60deg. You can order these prebuilt with Camlock or Powerlock connectors, it'll save you the hassle of assembling them.

I too am for SC or type W cable and camlock connectors..

I would not want to be the guy paying for, or having to move, 50' of 5 conductor 3/0 with a 200a 5 wire pin and sleeve on the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhakii View Post
    In a situation like this could you use heavy duty generator cables with the pin and sleeve connector's? Not sure where to find ampacity for those type of cables. Probably somewhere in the nec, I just don't know what the code letters are.
    As Chris pointed out .......:smile:

Quote Originally Posted by raider1 View Post
    The ampacity of flexible cords and cables can be found in 400.5(A) and Tables 400.5(A) and (B).

Thanks guys, pretty much confirming what I thought. I use the 5100 pin and sleeve on my under 100 amp trailers and use Hubbell cam locks on the rest but this trailer has to power up at existing P&S shore terminals. I usually do ok in my NEC code book but all the multi conductor flexible cable types have my head spinning, thanks again for you support!

Thanks guys, pretty much confirming what I thought. I use the 5100 pin and sleeve on my under 100 amp trailers and use Hubbell cam locks on the rest but this trailer has to power up at existing P&S shore terminals. I usually do ok in my NEC code book but all the multi conductor flexible cable types have my head spinning, thanks again for you support!
    I don't know what is available above the 100 amp 5100 (blue P&S) (125 A IEC Red version) but keep in mind that it almost takes 2-men to carry a 50 foot coil of this cord. (This cable is unaffectionally referred to as horse**** in the field). For anything larger than 100 amp, you really do not want it to be a multi-conductor cable.

...My specific issue now is sizing 200 amps (service rating) of five wire 480. Open air service feeding a custom heavy truck trailer.
    3/0 is gonna be crazy heavy....

Jeff
    Just curious... I know it's none of my business, but... could you be more specific about the load you're feeding ?
    Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion