Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ansul system

ansul system

Hello long time reader first time posting.
    I just wired a commercial cooking hood I knew I had to de-energize exhaust and make up air,the ansul guy said I had to kill receps under hood too.
    My question is can I use a contactor to do this since it is 3 single pole circuits. Any possible violations here?

That should conform to code requirements as found in the NEC, IBC, NFPA 17 and 17A chapter 4.
    Rick Napier
    Inspector and Instructor

I thought the exhaust fan had to continue running to remove smoke?? Also, what about installing shunt trip(s) breakers for the breakers feeding the receps under the hood? The system's micro switch might be a way of controlling the contactor to operate the receps too... now its all about the money. Anyone else?

oops

you're sparky thats what I meant make up off exhaust remains on.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoat View Post
    Hello long time reader first time posting.
    I just wired a commercial cooking hood I knew I had to de-energize exhaust and make up air,the ansul guy said I had to kill receps under hood too.
    My question is can I use a contactor to do this since it is 3 single pole circuits. Any possible violations here?
    -I believe the receptacles under the hood should be on a shunt trip breaker. That way when someone pulls the ansul there is a relay in the hood that will automatically shut down all power under the hood. I'm not sure if its an electrical code but I'd say it is most likely a fire code. Hope that is helpful
    Pennsylvania
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Foreman

Quote Originally Posted by arossi View Post
    -I believe the receptacles under the hood should be on a shunt trip breaker. That way when someone pulls the ansul there is a relay in the hood that will automatically shut down all power under the hood. I'm not sure if its an electrical code but I'd say it is most likely a fire code. Hope that is helpful
    Not necessarily a shunt-trip breaker. Any method that de-engergizes them will work..... lighting contactor... controlled relay.... shunt breaker....

Sorry,

Usually the hoods I wire will have the shunt trip setup. Seems to be the best way to shutdown power all the way to the source. But I'm sure a relay would work.
    Pennsylvania
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Foreman

you can use shunt trip breakers or contactors, the lights under hood must turn off, all power under hood off, make up air off, exhaust on.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

The device that opens the equipment to be shut down, should be manually resetable. I

can't remember where that comes from. It's to prevent the equipment from energizing after

the Ansul tank has been replaced and reset. Also, In this area they want the exh. fan to

come on even if the exh. fan switch is in the off position, if the system is activated.
    Frank Arizona,USA

Quote Originally Posted by benaround View Post
    Also, In this area they want the exh. fan to

come on even if the exh. fan switch is in the off position, if the system is activated.

yep, I forgot to write that...
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT