Hospital Code Violations....

Status
Not open for further replies.

daleuger

That makes sense and would have been quite important with the early medical gear, but now virtually all medical equipment has battery backup. In fact the IV pump I was hooked up to had battery backup, and I was after the first day of bed rest encouraged to get up and walk around as much as possible. I would chase the nurses around, and go the the main nurse's desk to look at my heart rate telemetry.

Interesting that the Code appears to be silent on this in a way (since the idea of if a bathroom is part of the patient room can be subject to interpretation) and that it is a job spec instead.

For what it's worth, I am not sure how old the hospital I was in is, but is is not "new", if I had to guess it was built in the early 80's or maybe before...

Lol that wasn't my post.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think I know from personal experience why the exception is there.

Picture the patient bed, with the sink and toilet right next to it. There is a curtain that can be pulled to seperate the "toilet area".

Now every receptacle on the entire headwall is within 6' of the sink. What do you do? Make every single receptacle GFCI? Or just the ones in the "toilet area"?

You have to weigh the chance of someone getting shocked against the chance of loosing power to a device that may be critical.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.