Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: service disconnect location

service disconnect location

location of service disconnect in a home.
    exactly how far can service cables from meter pan to panel be. seems this is interpeted differently by many people. obviosly the disconnect should be as close as possible to point of entry in home. but where is the max footage allowed stated in code. and is this determination of, as close as possible, completly up to the inspector.

There is no NEC stated distance. It's up to the AHJ to decide. Some areas have specific lengths that are permitted. This would be a local code and not an NEC length.

Welcome to the forum. :smile:
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I can't answer for New Jersey (the OP's home, as well as yours, Rob), as I am on the other side of the country. The state-wide limit here is 15 feet. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by charlie b; 03-04-09 at 07:10 PM.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

In my little wooded patch of the forest, it's 10 feet.

10' or 15' here in NJ would get a big red sticker. :rolleyes:

Some inspectors will allow some wiggle room if you're using RMC. SE cable had better go right into the panel.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/pdf/...ctlengthTB.pdf

I had a technical bulletin published when one of the pocos started flexing it's muscle about an actual footage. This bulletin settled them down and they haven't reared their ugly head since. :smile:
    Answers based on the 2008 NEC Edition when I think to grab that one.

What you are, you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am by myself. There are and will be a thousand princes; there is only one Beethoven. Ludwig van Beethoven

It remains my opinion that the word "nearest" means exactly that and you have to install the disconnect at the point where the service conductors penetrate the interior wall surface. If you have a local rule that sets a specific distance then that would apply. Our local rule is 10'.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by wbalsam1 View Post
    http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/pdf/...ctlengthTB.pdf

I had a technical bulletin published when one of the pocos started flexing it's muscle about an actual footage. This bulletin settled them down and they haven't reared their ugly head since. :smile:
    The code wording does not support the opinion that was expressed in the technical bulletin that you provided a link to.
    The intent is to provide a service disconnecting means that is at an accessible location as close as is
    practical to the point at which these conductors enter a building.
    The code does not use the words "close as practical" and if that is the real intent of the rule, then the code should use those words.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wbalsam1 View Post
    . . . one of the pocos started flexing it's muscle about an actual footage. . .
    Interesting, I didn't know that we had muscle to flex on the load side of the service point. However, their interpretation of NEC was correct; the State of New York has made a local ruling on what they will permit. This is much the same as the State of Indiana uses the Indiana Electrical Code which is the NEC with the Indiana amendments. :smile:
    Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
    Responses based on the 2011 NEC, unless stated otherwise.

Service entrace

tHANKS FO THE FEEDBACK