new padmount service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrannis

I think they make non-ferrous strut straps. Brass hardware for sure.
Would stainless make a difference?

I really like to use bell ends on stub ups like that to keep the cable insulation from getting skinned up during the pull.

Why are the conductors crowded into that square penetration? Is that all that could be done? I would have gone with a more of a rectangle if the inside permitted.

That is not a fair comment Pierre. This has obviously been approved before and is safely in service in other places. See the OP statement below. :)

Unfair??? Hardly. I, like all the others here including yourself, respond based on our gained knowledge and experience over the years. This type of service has never been approved in our area by the POCO.
I think that CIECO has done a fine job of describing how and why this type of service is installed in his jurisdiction.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would like to know how, in the short distance between the pad and the building, the pipes get crossed. It appears they exit the tansformer as N,A,B,C left to right, but come up as N,C,B,A.

And one phase per pipe, no less.

I doubt that the conduits cross. More likely a illusion from the light hitting the marking tape or the conductors are not marked the same on both ends.

So non-ferrous strut, big open bottom box going over these conduits and bushings installed on the raceways, now this becomes code compliant?

jrannis

I think we are looking at the end of a 12" x 12" wireway with a box flange installed on it.

I doubt that the conduits cross. More likely a illusion from the light hitting the marking tape or the conductors are not marked the same on both ends.

So non-ferrous strut, big open bottom box going over these conduits and bushings installed on the raceways, now this becomes code compliant?

OK how about pour concrete around the stub-ups and omit the strut and straps.

480sparky

I doubt that the conduits cross. More likely a illusion from the light hitting the marking tape or the conductors are not marked the same on both ends......

Sorry. I clearly see white/brown/orange in the transformer (left to right) and white/yellow/orange/brown (left to right) at the building. And that's with my poor 'old geezer' eyesight.

It is also possible they swap at the bottom of the transformer, out of view.

If they're not marked the same at both ends, they're gonna have a lot of fun with their motors running backwards!

Last edited:

M. D.

....So non-ferrous strut, big open bottom box going over these conduits and bushings installed on the raceways, now this becomes code compliant?

I would throw in 300.5(j) ground movement , and 300.7 different temps.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sorry. I clearly see white/brown/orange in the transformer (left to right) and white/yellow/orange/brown (left to right) at the building. And that's with my poor 'old geezer' eyesight.

It is also possible they swap at the bottom of the transformer, out of view.

If they're not marked the same at both ends, they're gonna have a lot of fun with their motors running backwards!

You might be correct about the colors, my first guess is that they're misidentified, but what does this have to do with motors running backwards?

LLSolutions

Just seems like a 2'x2' weatherproof box properly bonded to the wireway and some 4" pvc connectors would take some of the drama out of this install. Ever ask why the POCO wants iso-phasing into the vault when the EC is making the final connection? I know if it's their vault thier rules, but has the question been addressed? All the vaults I've been in have plenty of room to dress and land your conductors neatly.

Last edited:

RUWired

If the conductors are 500 kcmil and the bricks are 3" tall the OP might have a Table 312.6(A) problem (10" minimum) because each conduit contains three common phase conductors. If each conduit contained each phase conductor, the minimum bending space would be reduced to 6". This is mute if the poco owns the wiring.

Rick

CIECO

First off it is a precast vault so there is no conduit swap. Second a lot of people do not under stand inductive heating. What I have done is almost the same but used a large fiber box to the wireway.

ibew441dc

Just wondering what you think of this install ? If going through or under the footings isn't practical this is the way it's done around here.

View attachment 3016 [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Who is installing this, and where is the service point? Although there are times when this installation may be subject to the rules of the NEC, judging by the picture and the methods being used, it looks like another utility company installation. Obviously if it under exclusive control of the utility then 90.2(B)(5) is as far as the NEC would go.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
First off it is a precast vault so there is no conduit swap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

How did the brown phase suddenly move from next to the yellow to next to the neutral?

wawireguy

I like the way the isolated phases connect at the splice box. Very nice looking. After reading 300.3(B)(1) the idea of using isolated phases under ground seems to be a NEC compliant install. I'm not sure the box in the wall is a wiring method but honestly I'm more interested in the iso phasing. Are there any induction concerns with the box as the phases still seem to be seperated at that point? Or are they considered not isolated phases at that point?

Status
Not open for further replies.