Tamper resistant receptacles EXPANED??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

even if they do expand TR receptacles, will we really suffer? i think the safety of them is all the more reason to install them. they dont really cost that much. but if there outdoors they need to be weather resistant as well.

i had to buy a 20 amp, 125 volt WR/TR duplex receptacle. it was spec grade and cost around 12 dollars. but you can buy the leviton ones for cheap

peter d

White. Almond. Light Almond. Ivory. Gray. Brown. Black. Country blue.

Around here we use white for new construction and ivory for the majority of replacements. The rest of those colors are about as common as Iwire not posting on the forum.

As for what homeowners do and what they buy, I couldn't care less.

Non TR's for industrial use would be fine, no kids around.

While I was installing lights at a very large mixed use development with lots of common area. I explained the use of TR's outlets he said great. So I changed the two in the pic nic area to TR's.
They are really worried about being sued if some one get's hurt in any way.

When I finished. I told the guy now that you know TR's are available. If a child gets electrocuted in one of your other outlets in the common areas that are not TR's.
"The lawyer is going to say you knew TR's we're available because you installed two at the pic nic area."
I got a feeling I will be changing the rest of them soon.

e57

Sorry to go this direction - But Volvo brought us the seat belt - Nader made it law... PS/etc. brought us tamper-proof - the NEC makes it law. (When adopted...) Personally I hope my state skips the 08, then strips whatever ends up in '11.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I got rejected on a final for not having TR recepts in a shop. Granted it was on a private residence, but it was a metal building 70' from the house, and 10" away from the 120v recepts was a 50A/240V recept for a welder. How do you protect a kid from that. Where does it stop?

iwire

Staff member
I got rejected on a final for not having TR recepts in a shop. Granted it was on a private residence, but it was a metal building 70' from the house, and 10" away from the 120v recepts was a 50A/240V recept for a welder. How do you protect a kid from that. Where does it stop?

Where does it stop?

Right now it stops at 15 and 20 amp 1225 volt receptacles. :smile:

I am sure electricians back in the day felt the same way when live front gear was being phased out.

IMG_0486.jpg

We look at that today and wonder how many people got hurt on that gear but when it was being replaced with dead front gear I have no doubt that many electricians where asking 'where does it stop?'

76nemo

Where does it stop?

Right now it stops at 15 and 20 amp 1225 volt receptacles. :smile:

I am sure electricians back in the day felt the same way when live front gear was being phased out.

IMG_0486.jpg

We look at that today and wonder how many people got hurt on that gear but when it was being replaced with dead front gear I have no doubt that many electricians where asking 'where does it stop?'

Hey, that live front needs bubble covers, and that shopping cart needs to be insulated:D:D:D

Mr. Bill

You either haven't had kids in the last 20 years or you haven't bought a car.
I don't expect people to ever believe my opinion. That's why I always provide data as back up. A total of 12,035 children between the ages of 0-18 died from accidental deaths in 2003. Of those, 7,677 died from motor vehicles. Almost 64%. So as I said, most children die from cars. My own status of children and car ownership is irrelavent. I follow the numbers, not the news headlines.

This was the best data I could find in a quick search. I saw some data for Canada that was more detailed and showed about 21 children died in the country in a 6 year period from electrocution. Those included suicides and lightning. But I though people would be more interested in US data.

iaov

I know a lot of people. I don't know anyone who has lost a child do to electrocution. I don't even know anyone who has been burned sticking something they shouldn't in a receptacle. It seems to me the risk is so small compared to cars, stairways, etc. I put plugs in my receptacles when my kids were little and I told them to keep thier fingers out of there. They did. I wonder why the NEC has decided they can make up for poor parenting and what sometimes is out and out stupidity!!:mad:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I know a lot of people. I don't know anyone who has lost a child do to electrocution. I don't even know anyone who has been burned sticking something they shouldn't in a receptacle. It seems to me the risk is so small compared to cars, stairways, etc. I put plugs in my receptacles when my kids were little and I told them to keep thier fingers out of there. They did. I wonder why the NEC has decided they can make up for poor parenting and what sometimes is out and out stupidity!!:mad:

It's true we are really very fortunate to live in a comparatively safe era when it comes to electricity.

However "poor parenting" seems pretty harsh. In people's minds the receptacles on the wall don't pose a constant threat so it can be forgotten.

Funny, I used to tell my 3 year old not to touch something and BY-THE-THREE-KENNEDYs I had to tell him again and again. Your kids must have been geniuses.

M. D.

:smile:I hope all you,.. "if it saves one child" folks don't wire pools.. DOWN WITH POOLS ,...DOWN WITH POOLS!!

If we all would just stop wiring them ,.. it might save one child ...

The problem with this kind of code rule is that it makes it easier for the next one of this type ,... tamper resistant screws on cover plates perhaps ..:smile:

In the United States, drowning remains the second
leading cause of accidental death among children ages 1
to 14, despite a 52 percent decline in child drownings per
year from 1987 to 2003. In 2003, 782 children ages 14 and
under died as a result of accidental drowning;

in 2004, an estimated 3,702 children in this age group were treated in emergency rooms for near-drowning. Of these drowning deaths, an estimated 40 percent occurred in pools.2 3

FWIW ,..40% equals about 313 children

electricmanscott

:smile:I hope all you,.. "if it saves one child" folks don't wire pools.. DOWN WITH POOLS ,...DOWN WITH POOLS!!

If we all would just stop wiring them ,.. it might save one child ...

]

There are specific regulations that are geared toward exactly this problem so I don't see how this is a good comparison. Same thing with kids riding in cars. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.