Power lines near fuel storage tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerickson

This may not be exactly applicable under this forum's topic, but this seems to be the best place for it.

In this situation, there is an existing tank farm (for storage of gasoline/diesel products) enclosed by a dike. Everything inside the dike is Class 1, Division 2, group D, per API RP 500. A company (not the tank farm owner) wants to put a utility power line on poles through the tank farm, 25' away from a tank. Is this permitted by code? The concern is not the classification but the fact that it would only be 25' from very large storage tanks containing fuel products.

I realize this may fall under a different NFPA code other than NFPA 70, but we have researched that route (and also API codes) and come up with only a vague mention of equipment near tanks in regards to firefighting.

Please respond with any information that could lead us down the right path to a correct code, if there is one for this situation. Thank you!

charlie

I wonder how the electric utility can build the line across private property without an easement or permission? Someone other than the electric utility has to be involved with this project.

The document that applies to this situation is the NESC since it is an electric utility that wishes to build the line. Rule 127C for Electric Supply Stations that covers Classified Locations only in power plants states, "Flammable liquid storage area. Electric wiring and equipment located in flammable liquid storage areas shall be installed in accordance with applicable sections of NFPA 30-2000 and the NEC." It is my opinion that this rule should also apply to this situation even though it is not on the electric utility's property. However, it does not and this is outside my area of expertise. Sorry, I do not have a answer for you.
icon9.gif

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Sorry, I was more or less out-of-pocket today. The applicable NEC Section is 515.7(A). While it doesn't prohibit the circuit, it does prohibit the wiring method.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It may very well be a utility circuit. Nevetheless, 515.7(A) prohibits the wiring method above a Classified location. Someone's gonna get it trouble for that; it may not be the utility, but probably the facility owner would.

Similar to your opinion that the NESC rule should also apply to this situation, I believe this should be a general Art 501 requirement. It was proposed several cycles back but I can't remember why it was rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.