Finding fault in direct buried UF

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Progressive (Now Tempo) Electronics 2003 fault locator.

PE2003.jpg

Every time I've used it, it gets me down to 1" of the actual fault.

480sparky

Does it work with conductors in conduit?

How do you propose to splice the wires that are in a raceway? If they're in a pipe, and they're damaged, just pull 'em out and replace them.

A fault locator will find a damaged wire only if there's a break in the conduit at the same location as the break in the wire.

That's usually what happens anyway.... someone dug up or trenched through a raceway and tore up the pipe and nicked the wire.

It's hard to damage a conductor once it's in a raceway without some sort of damage to the raceway.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Progressive (Now Tempo) Electronics 2003 fault locator.

PE2003.jpg

Every time I've used it, it gets me down to 1" of the actual fault.

You aren't trying real hard then.

The few times I have had to locate a break in a conduit, the PVC just happened to be damaged in the area of the fault. Even a slight crack will let enough moisture in/out to allow a locate.

A TDR will work but that takes even more money.

I agree, 250' isn't worth the time for a repair. Out with the old & in with the new. Take note of what the damaged UF looks like and ask if someone planted a new tree or post in the last year or two.

480sparky

You aren't trying real hard then.

Not trying real hard?
smiley_confused_vraagteken.gif
I don't understand.

The few times I have had to locate a break in a conduit, the PVC just happened to be damaged in the area of the fault. Even a slight crack will let enough moisture in/out to allow a locate.

A TDR will work but that takes even more money.

I agree, 250' isn't worth the time for a repair. Out with the old & in with the new. Take note of what the damaged UF looks like and ask if someone planted a new tree or post in the last year or two.

As I stated in post 6, they will find conductors in pipe, but if they're in pipe, why bother finding the damaged wire when you need to replace it anyway?

As for planting a tree or post, you can't see trees and posts sticking up out of the ground?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Does that TDR not work so well Ptonsparky? Which model is it? I thought one might save me a lot of tracing/marking if it could get me in the ballpark?

We do a lot of agricultural work and every year right about now we're locating faults to circles, pumps, etc. I just did a locate on a 2000-2500' circle a couple days ago. I traced and marked the 150' on each end of the run hoping the pinpointer would find the fault there and not in the middle somewhere. Fortunately, I found the fault 70' away from the disconnect buried only 18-20" deep in the middle of another circle it crossed.:roll:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Google earth central nebraska and it will become very obvious what a circle is.

I was trying to find a fault in the underground to a well. 1500 feet. 4/0 most of the way with a known splice on one end. Wasn't the splice. It is in PVC conduit with a bare ground wire that was typical for POCO installation at the time. That bare shunts, only term I can think of using, the ground path for the locator I normally use by spreading the signal out along the entire 1500 feet.

I am a novice with the TDR but have had some success. I do not have a Velocity Factor for 4/0 so will attempt again today after I measure a known piece. That changes once you bury it but it is a place to start anyway. Another education day.

We managed to dig up the corner system signal wire so I am going to get a VF for that while I am there. The Google Earth shot of that pivot gives me a pretty good idea of how long it is.

Winds are supposed to be below 40 mph today so that will help my attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.