Wednesday pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

The first three were at the same house. It is amazing how much damage a HO can do in a few years.

Nice looking panel.

electrical140.jpg

No hole saw, no problem.

electrical141.jpg

Another good looking install in the front yard.

electrical145.jpg

Another classic from today. I was able to to rewire it but the diswasher/disposal, 1/2 switched recep under the sink had 3" of wire to work with.

This was an exterior brick wall so I left the counter top recep on with the DW/Disp circuit :knucklehead: I could have blanked it off but it seemed better to leave it. I was able to find the feed and get a new circuit to it.

electrical151.jpg

I swear it seems like I follow the same guys arouind town fixing tha same type of work.

surf more

I see, quite possibly, 8 different brands of OCPD's in that top panel.

~Matt

along with tandems in wrong spots, if i am not mistaking.they had to of broke the breaker before installing to get them to fit where they are postioned!!!!!!ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

480sparky

I don't need to say anymore about DIYers. Almost everyday we have pictures that say it all!!:D

Is there anything in those photos that proves they were done by DIYers? They could easily have been paid well for their efforts, and I use the word 'effort' loosely here.

iaov

DIYers are often paid well and have signs on thier trucks saying 'Electrical Contractor!!All of this does not in my opinion does not mean "Qualified".:D

480sparky

DIYers are often paid well and have signs on thier trucks saying 'Electrical Contractor!!All of this does not in my opinion does not mean "Qualified".:D

I've seen worse work done by licensed ECs, too.

Here's a new panel installed right over the old, existing panel that was done by a licensed EC.

DSC_1121a.jpg

Panel was fed through a KO punched in the original panel (Pushmatic) cover, then through a KO in the back of the new panel. Then he did his very neat EMT work. He was so proud of his work, he taped his invoice to the cover.

Last edited:

220/221

Is there anything in those photos that proves they were done by DIYers? They could easily have been paid well for their efforts, and I use the word 'effort' loosely here.

I use the term HO and handyman in the same context. They both thend to do the same type of work. They don't have proper tools or experience to do things right and they know just enough to be dangerous.

What kills me the most is that it's usually not any more difficult or costly to do it right. Drill 3 holes in the top of the panel or drill one hole? Use a connector at the top of the panel or use a coupling/ (far right) Run wires in an orderly fashion, cut to the proper length or wind them around as much as you can.

I cleaned up the panel a bit but was disappointed with the end result so I'm not gonna post it :grin: I should have pushed hard and made them change it.

iaov

Here's a new panel installed right over the old, existing panel that was done by a licensed EC.

DSC_1121a.jpg

Panel was fed through a KO punched in the original panel (Pushmatic) cover, then through a KO in the back of the new panel. Then he did his very neat EMT work. He was so proud of his work, he taped his invoice to the cover.
Thats an interesting installation. Kind of a panel box extender!!:grin:

220/221

These days, work is slow and I am more willing to fix these things. It still pisses me off though. I don't like wasting resources.

Today, my wallet wasn't complaining but my body sure was. I was twisted up, working left handed under a kitchen sink where they left exactly enough wire (3") to rewire the dw/disp recep. !/4" less and I would have had to tear something up.

480sparky

You would think they coud have cleaned the burrs off the holes though.:smile:

And stick his precious fingers with a metal screwdriver inside an energized panel? No way! Far too dangerous! He's a hack, not a hack with a death wish!
:grin:

cowboyjwc

Staff member

DSC_1121a.jpg

I had the same thing on exterior panel, twice. The EC's mounted new surface mount panels and I was looking at the nipples coming through the back with all new wires. I looked at the homeowners and asked, what did they do with the original panel? Oh they left it back there and made all of their splices in it.:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.