How not to bend 4" EMT....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Thats what I was worrying about. But did not happen. Rope hooked to chain through pipe equalled kinked 4" EMT. Game over. Everyone a good ways back in case something went wrong. I don't know why I even allowed such stupidity. Oh yeah we don't have a bender that will bend 4" EMT. :) We needed a 10 degree bend a couldn't even get that!

If you were in charge and allowed it you put your own job at risk. I understand get r done but not when your risking a life. Kinked pipe no big deal but this could have easily ended badly.

chevyx92

If you were in charge and allowed it you put your own job at risk. I understand get r done but not when your risking a life. Kinked pipe no big deal but this could have easily ended badly.

Not really considering you weren't there and could not have seen safety precautions taken!!!!!!!!!

wireguru

So many ways for this to go bad ..........:D

All that pic is missing is a caption

attachment.php

"Hey guys hold my beer and watch this"

Fixed................

quogueelectric

If you have a job where a bender is set up for a big shop or just a smart shop have the guys bend 2 pieces of 4" with 2 - 6" 4 point saddles on each of them with all 5* bends. These can be used to make a subtle kick or offset using standard elbows for most of the work and the 5*s for the finesse areas. Store these for the next 4in emt job and you will not have to lug the bender out each time.

e57

So many ways for this to go bad ..........:D

All that pic is missing is a caption

attachment.php

"Hey guys watch this"
Shouldn't that read - "Hey!!! Get the hell off my job-site! Never come back."

Anyway - so I assume it bent the pipe slightly before kinking - hope he wasn't hoping for a 90?

Not that I'm one to critizise....
2 months ago I needed a very slight tweek in some 2" RMC - got four guys to lift the rear end of my van with it. PERFECT! But yes it did dent my bumper...

jrannis

OK a couple of thoughts,
If you bought a piece of rigid conduit, and had access to that nice forklift just sitting there, you might be able to flintstone something to get 10 deg.

Otherwise, the idea of making and storing a 5 deg prefab saddle, would win the hind site award. Excellent idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.