Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (2) 200 amp panels on 200 amp service.

(2) 200 amp panels on 200 amp service.

I'm sure this is an easy one, but I've never sone a service like this, so I am asking. I have a 200 amp service for a single family dwelling. I want to run two 40 circuit panels from this service, but with each panel being able to support 200 amps. The transfer switch can't be double lugged, so I am making connections in the trough. Is this even legal? If so, do I have to mark the panels with circuit #'s 1-80?

Diagram

Tight is right, too tight is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by StreamlineGT View Post
    I'm sure this is an easy one, but I've never sone a service like this, so I am asking. I have a 200 amp service for a single family dwelling. I want to run two 40 circuit panels from this service, but with each panel being able to support 200 amps. The transfer switch can't be double lugged, so I am making connections in the trough. Is this even legal? If so, do I have to mark the panels with circuit #'s 1-80?

Diagram

can you say 400 amp xfer switch?
    Unlimited Electric Contractor/Standard Electric Inspector/Traffic Signal Inspector/Highway Lighting and Level One Traffic Signal Installer.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

...The transfer switch can't be double lugged, so I am making connections in the trough. Is this even legal?....
    Yup. Perfectly legal. AS long as your conductor size is sufficient for the loads served.

... do I have to mark the panels with circuit #'s 1-80?
    As long as they are accurately marked you can call `em anything you want to. :grin:

Quote Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
    can you say 400 amp xfer switch?
    You'll have to watch with a 400 amp service rated x-fer switch (main included) the 200 amp ML panels will require a main breaker set at 200 amps each.

Why would I have to goto a 400 amp transfer switch? The transfer switch has a 200 amp main breaker in it. Therefore the service with be 200 amps, with an 80 circuit panel.

with a "service rated" 200 amp transfer switch as the service equipment, as long as you have not exceeded your calculated load, I see no problem.
    Add as many panels as you like.
    (1 breaker per outlet :-) )
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

leave more room for tel and catv, and wheres the network wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by wireguru View Post
    leave more room for tel and catv, and wheres the network wiring?
    No networking, just a wireless setup. Not really into the computer thing, so they said they didn't need it. They are already over budget on the things they wanted in the house, like 106 recessed cans (house is 3000 sq ft.), and a stand-by generator.

3000 sq ft. Depending on the type heat and many other varibles, 200 amp might be questionable. Did you (or anyone) do a load calculation ?
    In this area it would be more common to see one of the panels connected as service (for non-generator loads0 as well as the transfer switch.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

I have a 200 amp service for a single family dwelling. I want to run two 40 circuit panels from this service, but with each panel being able to support 200 amps.
    Is the transfer switch supposed to transfer power from one 40 cir panel to the other? :-?