Torque wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.

wawireguy

I'm wanting to get a torque wrench and maybe a torque screw driver and am trying to figure out what range of in-lbs I need to look for. Lets say anything from branch circuit breakers to mains up to 300MCM or so. After checking out Sqare D it seems anywhere from 25-50 in-lbs for smaller connections up to 250 in-lbs for 300MCM mains. Does this sound correct?

I've never seen a electrician use a torque wrench yet but am wanting to add a level of professionalism to my work.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
250 in/#'s may be a little small. That would yield about 20 ft/#'s of torque which is at the lower limit for lugs in the 300 kcmil and up range.

brian john

You need two torque wrenches. One 0-240 inch lbs and one 15-200 foot lbs, one screw driver should do most all the work you would do with slotted and Phillips screws.

brian john

560/12=46.6 ftlbs.

I use SnapOn and I am not impressed with that particular product the lock rings breaks and needs to be repaired regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

wawireguy

Thanks all, now to find one I can afford. Need one for my truck also. Have this Harbor Freight one.. I don't really trust it.

jrannis

I have one that I use exclusively for making up switchgear. I keep a set of long hex head sockets with it and a couple of 3/8" rod couplings just in case!
I haven't needed anything above 42 foot pounds yet. Largest so far was 750MCM

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have one that I use exclusively for making up switchgear. I keep a set of long hex head sockets with it and a couple of 3/8" rod couplings just in case!
I haven't needed anything above 42 foot pounds yet. Largest so far was 750MCM

42 ft/#'s seems to be about the upper limit for 1/2" hex drives in lugs. Some Ilsco ones I installed recently required 500 in/#'s which is about 42 ft/#'s. I would use 500 in/#'s as the upper minimum limit when purchasing a toque wrench for large conductor terminations.

480sparky

Two things to always remember about torque wrenches:

1. Always dial them back to zero when you're not using them.
2. Have them calibrated on a regular basis.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Back in the dark ages when I decided to use torque wrenches, bending beam were not only less expensive but more accurate than other styles. Field calibration is very easy. Other than always having to be able to see the pointer when using, why would I want to spend dollars on something that needs to be calibrated every time it falls off the front seat of my pickup?

brian john

Back in the dark ages when I decided to use torque wrenches, bending beam were not only less expensive but more accurate than other styles. Field calibration is very easy. Other than always having to be able to see the pointer when using, why would I want to spend dollars on something that needs to be calibrated every time it falls off the front seat of my pickup?

1. Because keeping up with MODERN technology lifts up above Fred Flintstone, dinosaur digger for accuracy.
2. For me in maintenance there are often connections where you cannot see the torque wrench

jrannis

42 ft/#'s seems to be about the upper limit for 1/2" hex drives in lugs. Some Ilsco ones I installed recently required 500 in/#'s which is about 42 ft/#'s. I would use 500 in/#'s as the upper minimum limit when purchasing a toque wrench for large conductor terminations.

I follow the label in the gear. Sometimes its not easy to find.
I use aluminum alot and keep a torque log on the job as well as putting witness marks on each lug I torque. Some people still have a problem when they see aluminum conductors.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
1. Because keeping up with MODERN technology lifts up above Fred Flintstone, dinosaur digger for accuracy.
2. For me in maintenance there are often connections where you cannot see the torque wrench

I agree with #2.

MODERN technology does not mean much when you look at all the dark age structures that are still in use and probably will be long after your newest switch gear has rotted to a pile of rust and paint chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.