Electrical Inspector Grabbing At Straws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimman

I believe the inspector overstepped his boundaries. There is a process, in NC, at least that addresses this very situation. It involves informing the homeowner, in writing, of the voilations, and if the situation requires, a possible removal of power from building, condemnation of structure, etc.... Electrical Inspector cannot require corrections, without citing an article voilation or local ordinance violation. Inspectors too many times require electricians to make repairs, and will tell a homeowner that repairs are required to keep from following the statutes and/or adminstrative code, which is a real pain in the rear. In most cases, the contractor or homeowner simply make the changes because they are needed, as stated here to keep from arguing with the inspector. That does not make it right on the inspectors part.

growler

What I find very strange about this whole situation is this: Three electrical contractors go to this house to give an estimate on this restoration and all of them see a 60 Amp. fuse panel and not one of them tries to sell a service up-grade. :-?:-?

This is not a code issue but it does make you wonder about these guys. :-?

markstg

In the walk through with the EC's, they were concerned on the available branch fuses needed to add the Kitchen circuits. But as posted earlier, a dedicated window a/c circuit could be removed which provided the needed circuits in the service panel.

2 of the EC's did asked during the walk through if I wanted to consider a service upgrade, but I told them only if it was required by the code or the city, or in its present state was a hazard.

I interpreted their answer to be no it was not, since it was not included in their proposals.

The inspector thought otherwise (correctly so), and the service was changed.

tshea

I think I worked for you! You didn't believe anything I told you and you rubbed my face in the fact you were an Electrical Engineer, until I found out it was for software design.

Had to be you. You called the City Inspector a dozen times to verify what I told you, and to get hte Chief to over rule his guy.

Well, your house is safe. Your check was thanks enough. When you sell, and the buyer sees the new panel, don't forget to tell tehm you thought it was unneccesary.

PS: Lose my phone number!

mivey

I think I worked for you! You didn't believe anything I told you and you rubbed my face in the fact you were an Electrical Engineer, until I found out it was for software design.

Had to be you. You called the City Inspector a dozen times to verify what I told you, and to get hte Chief to over rule his guy.

Well, your house is safe. Your check was thanks enough. When you sell, and the buyer sees the new panel, don't forget to tell tehm you thought it was unneccesary.

Well, that sheds some light on things. It it interesting to see the other side of this coin.

FWIW, all engineers aren't a total pain. I don't go over the heads of the professionals on hand, but I will bug them with questions, as I like to learn new things.

If someone doesn't appear to be a professional IMO, I just tell them to hit the road and I'll get someone else: nothing personal, no hard feelings, and we both will be happier for it.

I have dealt with people that knew just enough to be a pain. Sometimes I don't mind working for difficult people, as long as they recognize they are difficult, and are willing to compensate me for the trouble. The attitude is a big factor.

Some people are just crazy and I have worked for them because I felt sorry for them and no one else wants to help them.

Some days I have more patience than others.

tshea

Well, that sheds some light on things. It it interesting to see the other side of this coin.

FWIW, all engineers aren't a total pain. I don't go over the heads of the professionals on hand, but I will bug them with questions, as I like to learn new things.

If someone doesn't appear to be a professional IMO, I just tell them to hit the road and I'll get someone else: nothing personal, no hard feelings, and we both will be happier for it.

I have dealt with people that knew just enough to be a pain. Sometimes I don't mind working for difficult people, as long as they recognize they are difficult, and are willing to compensate me for the trouble. The attitude is a big factor.

Some people are just crazy and I have worked for them because I felt sorry for them and no one else wants to help them.

Some days I have more patience than others.

I should have added <Tongue in Cheek> There are numerous people (customers) who think they have more knowledge than the electrician--the internet is wonderful!
Once they have this 1/2 knowledge, they try to impress you with facts and figures and other minutia. The old saying," I forgot more about this than you'll ever learn" comes to mind. I smile, especially when I SEE their work. My comment is "We don't do that like that. We use different techniques."
I like EEs. I have several friends who are EEs.

the inspector did you a good deed

the inspector did you a good deed

at the end of it all you eneded up with what you should have been quoted at the start and you should have been told that your service would have need help the double lug is a very major issue no overcurrent for your jack legged disconnect sounds like you had learning lesson

markstg

Nope, couldn't have been me. I'm not in Wisconson. Also, the EC called me a couple of weeks after the job, to follow up that all was well, which it was, and asked if whenever I had the chance to reccommend his company if I would. I said I would, as I stated earlier, they did a very good job. Also he made sure I still had his card, so that I had his phone number. :smile:

jes25

Why is everyone bashing this guy for putting an amprobe on the service? Just because he field checks something in the real world hardly means he is uncapable of doing the actual calculation. Give the guy a break, especially when he's not here to defend himself.

SAC

Blatantly false post with nothing but derogatory remarks towards the OP, with whom, contrary to the content of the post, the poster has never had any contact. Ha ha, pretty funny. Is it time to grow up yet?

iMuse97

Blatantly false post with nothing but derogatory remarks towards the OP, with whom, contrary to the content of the post, the poster has never had any contact. Ha ha, pretty funny. Is it time to grow up yet?

thanks for speaking up. I felt uncomfortable about that one, too. Interesting thread, all in all. Thanks OP.

mivey

Nope, couldn't have been me. I'm not in Wisconson.
So there that is. Glad all is copacetic in your case.

I guess with 306 million people doing stuff, the odds are pretty good that we will have some situations that seem similar. Unfortunately, it seems tshea jumped the gun by thinking it was you before getting more info.

tshea?

Status
Not open for further replies.