excessive permit fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davis9

I did a resi Condo building 2yrs ago on the North Shore, 400K est elec cost and a 21000 dollar permit fee. I almost passed out so did the GC since his Building permit was exactly the same.

Tom

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
has anyone seen cities and town jack their permit fees this past year?

funny you should mention this.....

my auto mechanic got a estimate last year when he started his house build
in prescott, az.

$5,500 for the electrical service entrance. 600' of trench, 2" feeder, 2" catv.
that was then, this is now... he got the real number yesterday. $19,500.

poco surcharges that weren't there last year. :mad:

nhfire77

Framingham, permit needed for testing as well, permit needed for just thinking about looking at a fire alarm device.

Also they want cut sheets for any replaced equipment

Must........resist.........urge.....to.........think........about...........

Crap, I gotta notify the inspector of wires.
-------------------------------------------------------

Yea I think most other places don't have the, unique, experience that is New England and their wacky Electrical requirements.:cool:

Whats a municipal 100mA loop says the out of state contractor?:-?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
TN STATE permit, 200 amp service, Temp, RI, Final, HVAC = $108.00, same house, County Building permit = $ 722. 00 Guess which one the owner was squalling about :smile:

kbsparky

Permit fees here (Wicomico County, MD) are flat rate at $20 each. I can email the request, FAX, or call on the phone. I get an immediate response with the permit number, and they mail me the hard copy.

Keep an escrow account with the county, they let me know when the balance falls below $40 so I can send them in a couple hundred for the next 10 permits.

Inspection fees are paid directly to the inspection agencies. Minimum fee is $50. 4 different agencies to choose from.

A 200 Amp upgrade costs $70 for both permit and inspection. ;)

In Delaware, there are no permit fees at all. :smile:

Inspection fees are handled the same way. :D

electricmanscott

I love how you have to link to prop 21/2 to explain b/c its sooooooo crazy.

Best thing to happen to properety owners in this state in my lifetime.

As for fees. They are all over the place costwise. Based on the inspections I've had they are way overpriced. :wink:

Don't count out Framingham completely. The electrical inspector is a very good guy. But now I know why he kept asking of I was doing any smoke detectors on the last job I did. Probably would have given me a heads up about the fire dude.

Last edited:

kelley

Occupation
Estimator
electricmanscott;10340Don't count out Framingham completely. The electrical inspector is a very good guy[/QUOTE said:
Agreed Scott. I worked for him when he was in business and before he was the inspector.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had one city last year that made me permit the entire fire sprinkler system just because we installed a transfer switch between the old fire pump controller and the transformer. $2600.

Status
Not open for further replies.