Welded vs Drawn Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacspark

Why do they make some boxes in both and when do you choose one as opposed to the other?

0181.jpg
0192.jpg

Doug S.

Why do they make some boxes in both and when do you choose one as opposed to the other?

When it's 9pm, your are desperate, and the big box only has one kind you buy that one.

Drawn should be a little tougher box over all. However I can't ever think of a time I bought a drawn box over a welded on for strength. (or that I ever will) It's also probably safe to say the welded boxes a cheaper? Welders are much cheaper than 100ton presses.

My 2?
Doug S.

ultramegabob

I try to use the rounded boxes when they will be exposed where someone can bump into it, I feel they are less likely to give someone a cut.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
For shallow I use the drawn because they are rounded and have the raised ground screw hole (better for block walls).

Deep only ever seen welded.

Mark

LJSMITH1

Actually, its a matter of manufacturability/cost and preference. The handy boxes were used for many years prior to the welded box. The handy box being drawn, requires a bit thicker and more ductile steel to form properly, and has a few more steps to make it (2-3 drawing steps, punching KO's, and tapping holes), whereas the welded box has three components all stamped and tapped in one shot in a progressive die press, then they are resistance welded.

Plus the handy boxes are mainly surface mounted, and the welded boxes w/brackets allow stud mounting and easier depth setting capability..

whillis

When hanging a ceiling fan or heavy fixture I only use the drawn boxes because I don't trust the welds on the other boxes. Other than that, no real preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.