Is this a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first glance, it looks bad. But if one takes a close look, there is a collar on the box. Those conductors have been taken out of the box and may just qualify to be compliant. I have learned not to rush to judgement too quickly.

I am sure someone will do the math and let us know. ;):cool:

glene77is

Rattus,
I count 38 conductors/joints, in a 4 11/16 box, with a 4 11/16 extension ring,
so that part looks per code.

? violations:
Several wires look too short for workability, and the 6" rule could be violated.
Are 4 wires simply taped up?
Why is one red wire all black at the end, near the yellow wire nut?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with Pierre. Sometimes you jump up and say, "hey you can't do that" and then you do the math and say "whoops, guess you can".

Just becasue it looks bad doesn't mean it's wrong and just because it looks good doesn't mean it's right.:smile:

Cold Fusion

---Several wires look too short for workability, and the 6" rule could be violated. ---
Wouldn't that only be true if they were put in too short? As opposed to they were put in at the correct length and then shortened over years of maintenance.

Pretty unlikely that happened here though. But doesn't that 6" rule apply only to the original and subsequent installation under the NEC - not what has happened as maintenance over the next 10 years.

cf

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Rattus,
I count 38 conductors/joints, in a 4 11/16 box, with a 4 11/16 extension ring,
so that part looks per code.
Hmmm... you forced me into the math (being slightly bored has no bearing on the matter ;)).

I count 20 joints, not counting the one that appears to join three grounds. Assuming deep box and extension and two #12's per joint, that's a total count of 41 and only 18 ? 2 = 36 are permitted in that volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.