great tool for cutting conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

anyone cutting conduit more than every once in a while, should invest in a portable bandsaw with the chopsaw table thing for it. OR in a evolution rage2 chopsaw. Seriously. Every time you use it you will curse yourself for not spending the few hundred bucks years earlier.

wireguru

this one's news for me. i googled it... the 7 1/4" blade is supposed to be good
for 250 feet of 1/4" mild steel... no sparks, heat, burr, etc.

huh?

special tungsten carbide tooth blades. The rage2 is a 14" chop saw. Not abraisve, blades got teeth. Think poor mans cold saw. Cuts ferrous and non ferrous metal, aluminum, plastic, etc. Sears has it for $279. Worth every penny.

mrdave

If you cut alot of pipe, a chopsaw with a carbide blade(dry-cut) for steel is a quick way to go, works on plastic too. I have been cutting pipe and strut with the same blade for a year without resharpening) I can't believe no one has mentioned a pipe cutter. Easier than hack saw for ridgid. Works on EMT. All you need is enough space to turn it around the pipe. No extension cord or batteries! I actually saw a plumber cuting plastic with one a couple of days ago. A decent reamer on drill (cordless if you choose) and the job is done. With EMT you can use Klien hand reamer) For larger EMT pipe you can use a simple (machinist-plumbers)hand deburring tool that takes about 3 seconds regarless of diameter.

Everyone is trying to over engineeer the job! Let me know when you design the better mouse trap.

Last edited:

wireguru

If you cut alot of pipe, a chopsaw with a carbide blade(dry-cut) for steel is a quick way to go, works on plastic too. I have been cutting pipe and strut with the same blade for a year without resharpening) I can't believe no one has mentioned a pipe cutter. Easier than hack saw for ridgid. Works on EMT. All you need is enough space to turn it around the pipe. No extension cord or batteries! I actually saw a plumber cuting plastic with one a couple of days ago. A decent reamer on drill (cordless if you choose) and the job is done. With EMT you can use Klien hand reamer) For larger EMT pipe you can use a simple (machinist-plumbers)hand deburring tool that takes about 3 seconds regarless of diameter.

Everyone is trying to over engineeer the job! Let me know when you design the better mouse trap.

the saw I am talking about, is the chop saw you mention. You dont want a carbide tooth blade in a chop saw made for abrasive blade -theyre too fast. Need a saw made for the carbide blade.

220/221

There was a time when I could cut pipe faster with a hack saw than any cordless sawsall. I do so little pipework now I lost my hack saws.

Then you weren't doing it right.

3/4" EMT with a sawzall and proper blade = 3 seconds. If you can beat that with a hacksaw you are my hero :smile:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. It's easy to make cuts with my DeW. 36v recip saw. As long as the blade is in good condition, I get few burrs.

I also use the Klein stubby EMT-fitting screwdriver with the built-on 1/2-3/4-1" reamer on it. It's a good hand tool.

480sparky

Agreed. It's easy to make cuts with my DeW. 36v recip saw. As long as the blade is in good condition, I get few burrs.

I also use the Klein stubby EMT-fitting screwdriver with the built-on 1/2-3/4-1" reamer on it. It's a good hand tool.

Ditto. But I use the 24v version. I prefer it because I have the 120VAC adapter to use when I have 'lektrickery.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ditto. But I use the 24v version. I prefer it because I have the 120VAC adapter to use when I have 'lektrickery.
That's why the good Lord invented spare batteries, as well as 12v-120v inverters.

I actually have a 24v set, too, and both the 120v power pack and a 12v charger.

The 24v tools are very strong when they're running on the 120v power pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.