Brick Tie nail in 4/0 SER

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

I don't see holes bored in insulating materials covered anywhere so he must stay 1 1/4" from the edge of the top plate ( framing member). The code (handbook)doesn't show this particular situation but examples are given of staying 1 1/4" from the edge of a furring strip.

The code refers to holes bored in framing members and insulation is not a framing member. It also refers to running exposed and staying 1 1/4 from the edge of the framinmg member.

When we have to start putting nail guards on styrofoam that will be the days I give up. We punch holes in the sheathing all the time with no guards. Only the proximity to the top plate would make the nail guard necessary if at all.

Huh?
smiley_confused_vraagteken.gif

electricmanscott

I don't see holes bored in insulating materials covered anywhere so he must stay 1 1/4" from the edge of the top plate ( framing member). The code (handbook)doesn't show this particular situation but examples are given of staying 1 1/4" from the edge of a furring strip.

The code refers to holes bored in framing members and insulation is not a framing member. It also refers to running exposed and staying 1 1/4 from the edge of the framing member.

When we have to start putting nail guards on styrofoam that will be the days I give up. We punch holes in the sheathing all the time with no guards. Only the proximity to the top plate would make the nail guard necessary if at all.

I'll second the motion. HUH? :confused:

dexterg

You MUST replace it. And whoever is responsible for the nail should PAY YOU to do so.
By the way, why were nail plates not used for protection. They are required in my area. (San Antonio)

electricmanscott

You MUST replace it. And whoever is responsible for the nail should PAY YOU to do so.
By the way, why were nail plates not used for protection. They are required in my area. (San Antonio)

If nail plates are required and the op didn't use them why would I as the person who drove the nail have to pay? :confused:

scwirenut

Update

Update

04-08-09_1655.jpg

Changed the feeder today, as you can see it didnt actually penetrate the conductors, only bubbled out the insulation line to line to ground, neutral just got insulation nicked...I guess when the nail started in it just just rolled off to one side...The HO and I shared the cost. He paid me for the cable, I did the labor for free. Only took me and a helper 1 1/2 hrs. start to finish including screwing the sheetrock back on the wall ready for patch. I feel alot better anyway, I did opt not to change the MB outside, mainly because I have a main also on the loadside of the feeder. Thanks for all the advice.

220/221

I am glad it was relatively easy and the HO paid part.

I am also glad you replaced it :D

The main is fine. All you did was field test it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.