3phase breaker used as single phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Can I use a 3 phase breaker to supply a 220v single phase load? If legal I could see where it would cause confusion in the future if someone is looking for a 2 pole breaker and can not find one. It would be labeled.
Thanks

templdl

Can I use a 3 phase breaker to supply a 220v single phase load? If legal I could see where it would cause confusion in the future if someone is looking for a 2 pole breaker and can not find one. It would be labeled.
Thanks
Have at it. Simply use the 2 outside poles and call it a day. This is a very common application.
I am not aware of an special markings except if you want to identify the circuit on the dead front cover as it should be marked.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Or any two poles, I am unaware of any restriction in this regard.
For corner grounded systems, the breaker testing is performed using the outside poles, so always using the outside poles might not be a bad habit to get into.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have at it. Simply use the 2 outside poles and call it a day. This is a very common application.
I am not aware of an special markings except if you want to identify the circuit on the dead front cover as it should be marked.

Are you using the 3 phase breaker in a single phase panel? If you are, using the two outside poles won't be very helpful.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.