National Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSCORP

I own a fire alarm company in Vancouver Washington and currently work in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. We are looking at going national.

Here is the question. Where can i go to get licensed as an electrical low voltage contractor that will allow me to work in every state with out having to test i every state? Also business licensing in every state?

If you have a real comment and knowledge please comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

DM2-Inc

It has been approximately 7 years since I had a need to become licensed in multiple states. At the time the company I worked for had offices in 16 different states and one of my responsibilities was to secure licenses for the company in many of those states.

I doubt thing have changed much, however at the time there was no reciprocal agreement between any of those states. There are some reciprocal agreements relative to a technician, however there was still a need to work under a State License.

We currently do work for several companies that build electrical type buildings (i.e. MCC, Control, etc.) that get sent all over the US and internationally, as well as EPC firms that build plants in the US and Internationally. For projects that remain within the US, I have had discussions with several State authorities and I've observed that that not all states have licensing requirements that would specifically prohibit and out of state contractor from providing their services in the state.

I've never investigated the requirements of all 50 states, as to do so would seem to be a monumental task. For me I just deal with them one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.