"No splices shall be used in power, control, and/or signal wiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullheimer

This is used over and over, three times at least in these Elec. Specs for a small small remodel job in a waste facility. New circuits have to be run for receptacles into a new room, as well as for lights.

Has anyone seen this in a spec sheet before? and how did you wire it? This is an all conduit job in a framed in room so all the emt would have to drop down from above the ceiling. How is this even possible? And why do they call out to use only 3M or Ideal wire nuts, if there is NO SPLICING???

brian john

This is used over and over, three times at least in these Elec. Specs for a small small remodel job in a waste facility. New circuits have to be run for receptacles into a new room, as well as for lights.

?

Saw on a spec for a WWTP

Same thing all conductors will be insulation resistance test (megger) for a minimum of 5 minutes. ALL?
All circuit breakers will be high current tested to include meggering, contact resistance measurements and insulation resistance test (megger). ALL

bullheimer

hey, bra, waste water treatment plant??? so what did you end up doing?

and walkerj, what about those telephone style crimps you put three wires into them, they are filled with silicone-like stuff and you squeeze them and they make a stellar connection. still....more concerned about the power.

Last edited:

electricalperson

Saw on a spec for a WWTP

Same thing all conductors will be insulation resistance test (megger) for a minimum of 5 minutes. ALL?
All circuit breakers will be high current tested to include meggering, contact resistance measurements and insulation resistance test (megger). ALL

do they actually enforce that? did they require test papers for every piece of wire and breaker?

Besoeker

Has anyone seen this in a spec sheet before? and how did you wire it? This is an all conduit job in a framed in room so all the emt would have to drop down from above the ceiling. How is this even possible? And why do they call out to use only 3M or Ideal wire nuts, if there is NO SPLICING???
I see it often stated either explicitly in customer specifications or by reference to a particular standard. The intent is that there will be no joints that you can't get to for inspection and testing. It doesn't mean you always have to run a continuous length of cable but, with few exceptions, any joint has to be by means of a terminal box or similar arrangement.

brian john

I see it often stated either explicitly in customer specifications or by reference to a particular standard. The intent is that there will be no joints that you can't get to for inspection and testing. It doesn't mean you always have to run a continuous length of cable but, with few exceptions, any joint has to be by means of a terminal box or similar arrangement.

Yes but an on site inspector with little or no practical field experience or a hard nosed inspector can read this as he wants.

iwire

Staff member

The NEC already requires us to install that way.

It appears these specs would be above and beyond that.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
For 120V receptacles, you could use the Cooper HD receptacles with 4 back-stab set-screw wires and daisy-chain the outlets. Don't know how to deal with the EGC's though.

Cooper #5252W-SP

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer

As always it is nice to read the entire specification to help interpret what is meant.
Just as it reads I would take it to mean what Besoeker has said.

I have seen it in many specifications only more specifically with respect to butt splices. I would not normally think of a wire nut in a junction box as a splice. I think of it as a connection point.
Although I do understand that many others might consider that a splice. It is one of those words that is often used in a more general sense.

bullheimer

i put it in just as the spec sheet states it. three times. does not elaborate. however, yes, no doubt some dummy architect wrote it that doesnt know whatta splice is. RFIs the general doesnt want to rock the boat that much. he came back and said "no splices" but when i asked to see the rfi i got nothing back, so have to wonder if he even asked.

in the spec sheet it says to electrical submittals have to include the elec. specs. with writing on them. is that supposed to come from me to them via the general? or do i just give them to the general and he does what he wants with them. they, as i am now, am almost afraid to give them back for fear that they will spell it out even further "no splices". but i got the impression for their foreman to just do it the way i normally would do it and forget them. still, they have a guy on site all the time. i guess if i am made to by this guy after i pull the wires into a jbox i will have to repull them. they also have a rule that no conduit run will contain more than 270 degrees of bends and no longer than 100ft btwn pull boxes. archetects!!!! :(

speedskater, if stuck to the spec looping is the only way out. ...whats an ecg

iwire

Staff member
i put it in just as the spec sheet states it. three times. does not elaborate. however, yes, no doubt some dummy architect wrote it that doesn't know whatta splice is.

Instead of calling this unknown person names pick up the phone and ask them what they mean or submit an RFI.

RFIs the general doesnt want to rock the boat that much.

Well no one here can tell you what the person writing the spec actually means.

Me I would take it to mean no unnecessary terminations.

they also have a rule that no conduit run will contain more than 270 degrees of bends and no longer than 100ft btwn pull boxes. archetects!!!! :(

That is a pretty common spec, people hire engineers to make sure they get quality work. If the company you work for bid on these specs and won the bid it is your job to follow them no mater how odd you find them.

480sparky

........they also have a rule that no conduit run will contain more than 270 degrees of bends and no longer than 100ft btwn pull boxes. archetects!!!! :(

speedskater, if stuck to the spec looping is the only way out. ...whats an ecg

Specs can always be whatever the EE, architect, owner and/or designer want them to be, as long as they conform to the Codes. Their job is not to make your job easier.

egc=equipment grounding conductor.

Although, I must say, the strangest spec I ever saw was a requirement for keyless pullchains.

Status
Not open for further replies.