Number of ATS's for dormitory with smoke exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I'm looking at adding a generator to an existing low rise dormitory (4 stories). Under a separate project, the University is putting in a smoke evacuation system mandated by the state. Smoke exhaust immediately to me implies that the load falls under Article 701, Legally Required standby. We will be doing away with existing battery packs and putting egress lights on Life Safety; i.e. Article 700 load. In addition to that, they want a receptacle in every room and common area's to have power for shelter in place capability; i.e. Article 702 Optional Standby loads. Is there any way around needing to have three ATS's for this facility? Space is limited and it seems like overkill.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm looking at adding a generator to an existing low rise dormitory (4 stories). Under a separate project, the University is putting in a smoke evacuation system mandated by the state. Smoke exhaust immediately to me implies that the load falls under Article 701, Legally Required standby. We will be doing away with existing battery packs and putting egress lights on Life Safety; i.e. Article 700 load. In addition to that, they want a receptacle in every room and common area's to have power for shelter in place capability; i.e. Article 702 Optional Standby loads. Is there any way around needing to have three ATS's for this facility? Space is limited and it seems like overkill.

To be compliant I think you are going to need 3 ATS. Just had a similar situation-they had Art 700 lighting and wanted a receptacle in each apartment. Had to be 2 ATS. You have the added burden of the legally required system. Painful.

mshields

Plus I need a separate 1 hour rated room for the 701 and 700 switches

Plus I need a separate 1 hour rated room for the 701 and 700 switches

From the 2012 IBC:

1. 909.11 Power systems. The smoke control system shall be supplied with two sources of power. Primary power shall be from the normal building power systems. Secondary power shall be from an approved standby source complying with Chapter 27 of this code. The standby power source and its transfer switches shall be in a room separate from the normal power transformers and switch gears and ventilated directly to and from the exterior. The room shall be enclosed with not less than 1-hour fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 712, or both. The transfer to full standby power shall be automatic and within 60 seconds of failure of the primary power system. [F]

Oh well - guess there will be one less dorm room when I'm done:)

mshields

a very good thought

a very good thought

I had not considered that and since it is a rural campus with a fair amount of open space, it's definitely something to consider.

Thank you,

Mike

mgookin

You may want to run this by AHJ before you put too much into it. I had thought rated cabinet but you use the word "room" above in your code citation. A "room" in a building code often requires a given minimum horizontal dimension, sometimes 5', sometimes 7'. This makes a small clothes closet in a bedroom exempt from the requirements for a room, and does other things.

mshields

Emergency ATS's in Rhode Island

Emergency ATS's in Rhode Island

Yep - definitely calls for a room and I agree that an early on meeting with the AHJ is definitely called for and potentially liable to save me a lot of pain.

Thanks,

Mike

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Is there any way around needing to have three ATS's for this facility? Space is limited and it seems like overkill.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any requirement for the Optional and Legally Required Standby systems to be on separate ATS's.

mshields

separate ATS's

separate ATS's

Hmm - that may be a good point. 701 loads may come up in 60 seconds but if we want to take advantage of that, we can add a time delay on the motor starters.

But otherwise, now that you mention it, I don't know that they do need to be on separate ATS's?

Status
Not open for further replies.