Utility Cut-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Oh ok he can call it hack work but i can't.

Jim, you too can call it hack work but you do have to lay off the 'my area is better then your area' foolishness.

Things up north scare me.

So your local guys do work like this ? Thats fine keep up the great work. Please don't move to Fl we really don't need guys like you that see a roll of tape needed for a job like this

Assume you think this picture looks fine, nothing unnormal for where you live. God help you

Unnormal? :D:D

PCN

So the bottom line is "They don't do it like that in my area so it's hack/wrong/substandard/etc"

Got it. :roll:

I think in part it is what one is used to seeing on a regular basis. Things vary from region to region when POCO's are involved.

Bottom line really is that the installation will probably last for years and years if water tight and connections are tight.

It comes down to workmanship, I wouldn't leave a cluster like that on the side of a customers building. That's just my opinion. Some would have no problem with that. That's okay.

I was simply trying to answer the OP's question. Is that okay here?

220/221

Cut the tape off and see if they used 2 screw romex connectors to connect the wires.

DSC01455.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Cut the tape off and see if they used 2 screw romex connectors to connect the wires.

DSC01455.jpg
Talk about hack work! Those are disgusting! I've never seen such trash! :mad:

We professionals use old Tomic connectors for temporary reconnections. :cool:

RonPecinaJr

I "bug-in" all the time, usually with split-bolt connectors, sometimes with Burndy crimps, and even sometimes with 3/4" romex connectors. Hey, if you work for someone other than yourself just do what you're told. Hell, I've even worked for an EC that made me trim down a few strands on aluminum service conductors so the #2 Burndy crimp (I think the size was #2) fit on the cable. That made no sense at all after upgrading to 200 amps.

I don't think I've ever been around to see the POCO actually show up and do this for any company I've ever worked for. When i tie in I prefer all conductors line up with one another and complete the drip-loop rather than line em up side-by-side as in the OP's picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.