calculating services for not your ordinary buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

today i was thinking. we wired a creamatorium up when i was in school. how do you calculate services/feeders for the retorts? if we have 4 100 amp 208 volt 3 phase retorts is there some kind of demand factor you apply?

another question. how do you calculate services/feeders for beauty parlors that have tanning beds? i cant find any demand factors for any of those

i know this is a weird thread its just things that pop in my head :)

do you just add the VA rating of the appliances to the calculation and do it like normal?

electricalperson

Alone or did he want to go in with you??:smile:

i hope alone the gas wasnt even hooked up to the place yet so there was no danger at all. i dont even think you could open the doors without power. they have a control panel to operate all the functions like door openings, fire tempature, air control etc

electricalperson

Cremation2.jpg
heres what it sort of looked like. the ones i installed were a little different but they are similar

we use to look in a small window during the cremation process for the 1 we wired. When a coffin is pushed in the fire encircles it, then the box falls away and you see the outline of the body.THEN you keep watching and the legs start to LIFT UP. That scared all the apprentices (me included)

electricalperson

. Do these qualify as commercial ovens??:D

i dont know. the ones i looked up online were 40 amps. i dont remember exactly what the ones i wired were. they must have some kind of demand factor or something like that. this place had 2 of them and were going to buy 2 more and another freezer.

iaov

These ovens are gas fired are they not. If so the loads are motor loads for blowers. My guess is they get treated like any other motor.

dana1028

hair salon

hair salon

Since we're talking about unusual calcs - I have a 12-station hair salon going into a commercial space, with 2 manicure stations and 2 pedicure stations.

If you've ever checked these out, they usually have daisy chained plug strips everywhere...hair clippers, curling irons going, hand held blow dryers [1800 watts these days].

It is very common to have every station in the place occupied at the same time with people waiting.

Every single appliance is cord and plug connected - I guess it would not be inconceivable to have twelve 1800 watt blow dryers going at once - we're stratching our heads trying to get a calculation that is reasonably close.

electricalperson

I think you've already answered your own question.

add the VA of the appliances? so if a machine is 50 amps 208 volt 3 phase you just do 50 times (208*1.732) = 18012.8. what kind of demand factor would you apply if you had multiple units like this? do you think i should just add all the VA with no demand factor on those machines and use that as the calculation? it would work fine but what would you do?

RonPecinaJr

I don't know of any demand factors for hair dryers so what I would do is figure those hair dryers as a continuous load.

12 x 1800 = 21.6 kw x 125% = 27kw.

27kw/ (208x1.732) = 75 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.