storage batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power plant I work at has been in operation for around 50 yrs. We have two battery vaults that provide 250 vdc to high voltage MCC's for controls. The old vault has the charger/rectifier and disconnect located in the vault along with the batteries while the newer vault, which appears to be around 5 yrs. old, has the charger/rectifier and disconnect located outside the vault and has HVAC ventilation while the old vault is so so on ventilation. I am unable to locate in the NEC where I should relocate the charger/rectifier and disconnect outside the vault to match the newer vault. Both vaults contain the same batteries and I believe they are in the process of adding exhaust fans to the old vault. Any information on this issue is appreciated.

cpal

This is a guess
It would appear that pri to 2008 the location of the disconnect was not specific. In those cases where the room containing the batteries was considered a hazardous loction a design requirment MAY have been to locate as much equipment out side the area. This is suggested elsewhere in the Code.

The 2008 Code now requires the disconnect to be in sight of the batteries. in 480.5
240.21 (H) allows the OCPD to located elsewhere.

This may account for the difference in the rooms.

The Hand Book mentions ( I am not sure) that it does not take a great deal of ventilation to move the hydogen gas, but I would consult a high authority in that regard.

Charlie,
Previously I read the sections of code you referred me to and your right it appears that the vault would not be considered a hazardous location with minimal ventilation, therefore the associated equipment would be permitted to be in the vault. Also there is an exhaust fan in the old vault.

Status
Not open for further replies.