CUSTOMER CALLS DISHWASHER NO WORKEY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my appliance wizard go out. Mike replaces fried circuit board, and tells Me this. Disposal and D.W. On same 20 amp breaker in panel ! Typical around here. Install 2 breaker box under sink with one 15 amp breaker for DW. The previous owner did His own work and HACKED it all ! Pull service cover . I always do this. Pull each wire to breaker to make sure, Wow one arcs and pulls out !tighten. Wiggle each breaker, Bingo 20 Amp disposal and D.W. cracked ! Pull it charred real bad ! Replace. Will call Power co. to check Neutral at pole. Last Month tenant calls burnt smell from microwave outlet. Outlet wire loose and arcing! Burnt outlet. I should send former owner a commission . Any ideas appreciated .Tanks Tool

ceb58

Had my appliance wizard go out. Mike replaces fried circuit board, and tells Me this. Disposal and D.W. On same 20 amp breaker in panel ! Typical around here. Install 2 breaker box under sink with one 15 amp breaker for DW. The previous owner did His own work and HACKED it all ! Pull service cover . I always do this. Pull each wire to breaker to make sure, Wow one arcs and pulls out !tighten. Wiggle each breaker, Bingo 20 Amp disposal and D.W. cracked ! Pull it charred real bad ! Replace. Will call Power co. to check Neutral at pole. Last Month tenant calls burnt smell from microwave outlet. Outlet wire loose and arcing! Burnt outlet. I should send former owner a commission . Any ideas appreciated .Tanks Tool

Can you phrase that in the form of a question?
Ideas about................... what?
Sounds like a normal day at the office.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

I never heard of putting a "2 breaker box" under a sink for a DW and disposal.
Do you mean a duplex receptacle?

I can't tell from your post what exactly you have or what happened, but it sounds an awful lot like a MWBC. Maybe the neutral came loose or someone took it apart not knowing what they were doing.

kwired

Electron manager
Those two appliances may be able to be on the same circuit. If cord and plug connected they must both be under 50% of the branch circuit rating. Many times this approach will work for a 20 amp circuit but not a single 15 amp circuit.

If they are "hardwired" it could complicate the required disconnecting means a little but they wouldn't need to meet the 50% rule if no receptacle outlets are on the circuit.

2014 NEC we have GFCI requirements for the dishwasher, and for any receptacle(15/20 amp 125 volt) within 6 feet of the sink - including any inside a cabinet.

growler

You profile has you listed as a lic. Gen. contractor CA. Does this license allow you to do electrical service calls?

Sorry

Sorry

I can't tell from your post what exactly you have or what happened, but it sounds an awful lot like a MWBC. Maybe the neutral came loose or someone took it apart not knowing what they were doing.

2 breaker box

Every few months there is a call with an issue on this home . The previous owner hacked it all ! It's $$ for Us all !

You profile has you listed as a lic. Gen. contractor CA. Does this license allow you to do electrical service calls?

Read the ca. Gen B 3 trade rule. I'm 71 been doing this 50 Years . I also do all My own plumbing , Elec. service changes . Get work signed off in S.F.
Worked as an a welder ,x ray cert. papers. I could never legally do this in most states .

Those two appliances may be able to be on the same circuit. If cord and plug connected they must both be under 50% of the branch circuit rating. Many times this approach will work for a 20 amp circuit but not a single 15 amp circuit.

If they are "hardwired" it could complicate the required disconnecting means a little but they wouldn't need to meet the 50% rule if no receptacle outlets are on the circuit.

2014 NEC we have GFCI requirements for the dishwasher, and for any receptacle(15/20 amp 125 volt) within 6 feet of the sink - including any inside a cabinet.
Thanks for that. Mon I'll call PG&E check drop at pole.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Read the ca. Gen B 3 trade rule. I'm 71 been doing this 50 Years . I also do all My own plumbing , Elec. service changes . Get work signed off in S.F.
Worked as an a welder ,x ray cert. papers. I could never legally do this in most states .

in ca you can't do any of those trades individually.

SUGGESTION

SUGGESTION

in ca you can't do any of those trades individually.

Call Ca. Contr. Lic. Board , tell them We're all breaking the Law. Been doing this since 1984 . We're Use to this ,Don't get Your Panties in a bunch . Off to wine Country with the Bride. Tool.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Call Ca. Contr. Lic. Board , tell them We're all breaking the Law. Been doing this since 1984 . We're Use to this ,Don't get Your Panties in a bunch . Off to wine Country with the Bride. Tool.

I was just making comment.
You write in such broken words it's hard to tell what you are talking about.
I really could care less what you do.

Have a nice time in the wine country

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It is amazing how people have been doing this for 50 years and don't have the correct terminology and can't troubleshoot a basic multiwire circuit or even ask the right question.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for that. Mon I'll call PG&E check drop at pole.

Why? If you suspect there may be a bad neutral (on the service side of things) why not verify it first? Put some load on it and make it show itself, preferably some resistance heat type of loads and not electronics that may not like what happens if there is a problem, then call them if there is a problem.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Why? If you suspect there may be a bad neutral (on the service side of things) why not verify it first? Put some load on it and make it show itself, preferably some resistance heat type of loads and not electronics that may not like what happens if there is a problem, then call them if there is a problem.

Why would he want to do that. He's a veteran expert, he know's what he's doing and been doing so for 50 years....:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.