Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: romex in wiremold as sleeve?

romex in wiremold as sleeve?

I think I can do this legally but here is the situation. I need to run a circuit to the kitchen from the panel which is recessed in the wall in the living room about 30 ft. No access from above or below so they are requesting wiremold 500 surface mounted up high on the wall with 12/2 romex (NM cable) sleeeved through it.
    is that legal to do or do i have to strip the outer sheathing? , is a bare ground wire legal if I take off the outer jacket in the metal wiremold 500 conduit? I will be using a wiremold single gang box at each end of the wiremold run so I would need to use a ground screw and ground the metal box so I would strip the insulation in the box anyway.

Conductors in a raceway must be marked per 310.11. NM has all that on the sheath, but not on the individual conductors.

why not just pull THHN instead of NM?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Conductors in a raceway must be marked per 310.11. NM has all that on the sheath, but not on the individual conductors.
    You know I've read a few threads about stripping the sheath off of NM and running just the conductors and how everyone is against it... Then while I was watching a MH DVD he was saying how he has no problem with it at all...
    It is the same thing we do when we terminate NM at a panel and run "unidentified" conductor to the (breaker/bus etc).

I can't defend it with code but where does 310.11 allow unmarked conductors from the NM connector to the breaker? :smile:

Quote Originally Posted by Twoskinsoneman View Post
    ........I can't defend it with code but where does 310.11 allow unmarked conductors from the NM connector to the breaker? :smile:
    Who says you need to completely strip the sheath off?

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Who says you need to completely strip the sheath off?
    Don't need to but you can. Sheath only has to go 1/4" into panel. No way to read identification on recessed/concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoskinsoneman View Post
    Don't need to but you can. Sheath only has to go 1/4" into panel. No way to read identification on recessed/concealed.
    Then, where does the Good Book say you have to be able to read the markings once the installation is complete? Can you read the markings on NM behind the drywall in the kitchen or bedroom?

What I've done in the past is take the bottom off of the WireMold and just put the WireMold over the Romex.
    Norb
    My Boss is a Tyrant and my Employee is an Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1793 View Post
    What I've done in the past is take the bottom off of the WireMold and just put the WireMold over the Romex.
    Brilliant and then it is just a protective sleeve and noone can say anything about it.
    The tail does NOT wag the dog.

i hate pulling wire in wiremold. worst raceway to work with i think but it does look better than pipe
    "Most good electricians are pretty sure that they are the best and the great ones never stop trying to be."