EU Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

If there is anyone here familiar with EU wiring codes, I have the following questions:

1) Are you allowed more than one conductor to the load side of a 10A or 16A breaker in residential?
2) With a 25A GFI single phase main, is there a limit to the number of breakers you can buss off of it?

I'm helping a friend move into a new apartment, and what I'm seeing in his panel would get any electrician fired in the US, but before I go and change anything, I want to find out if the rules here are so different.

Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1) Are you allowed more than one conductor to the load side of a 10A or 16A breaker in residential?
In the US, we use 15a and 20a circuits, at 120v line to neutral.
2) With a 25A GFI single phase main, is there a limit to the number of breakers you can buss off of it?
There is no direct correlation. Load calcs determine main requirements.

broadgage

Here in the UK there is nothing to prohibit more than one wire from an MCB, and this is common practice.
(one should of course follow the manufacturers instructions, and these may specify a limit)

There is also no limit on the number of circuits that may be fed from one main, GFCI or otherwise, though one should ensure that the maximum load is unlikely to exceed the available supply.

In most parts of Europe, codes are enforced with less rigour than in the USA.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In the US, we use 15a and 20a circuits, at 120v line to neutral.
My apologies for not answering the question. :roll:

Breakers are not permitted to have more than one conductor attached unless so marked, which some, such as SqD and CH, are for #'s 14, 12, and 10.

Added: In the US, that is.

Last edited:

gndrod

My apologies for not answering the question. :roll:

Breakers are not permitted to have more than one conductor attached unless so marked, which some, such as SqD and CH, are for #'s 14, 12, and 10.

Added: In the US, that is.

Hi Larry, That brings up another thought about parallel splicing off the one conductor in the enclosure. Does the EU and UK allow splicing?

Besoeker

In most parts of Europe, codes are enforced with less rigour than in the USA.
My experience is that, in UK, standards are more stringently applied than in other EU countries.
Often, this is as much driven by customer specifications as regulations.

Besoeker

Hi Larry, That brings up another thought about parallel splicing off the one conductor in the enclosure. Does the EU and UK allow splicing?
Splicing as in cable joints?
For UK, generally not but there are a few exceptions.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
...In most parts of Europe, codes are enforced with less rigour than in the USA.
One fundamental distinctive between US and CENELEC inspection practices is the US Inspector, inspects and enforces (Yeah, I know about inspectors not really being the AHJ - but many think or act like they are and get away with it because it otherwise holds a job up) A CENELEC inspector usually inspects and informs - typically someone that actually carries personal liability for the installation's design and is qualified to judge whether an alteration or deviation is acceptable or not, such as a Chartered Engineer in the UK or an Ingenieur (from ingenious) in several other countries. Occasionally, an insurer fills the role.

Doug S.

To the OP: sorry I'm worthless.

To my fellow Americans: Are you seeing (missing) this? Can you imagine a service lateral of <cough> #10 copper? They'd be running 18awg down off the pole!
Plus the GFI on the main? ( Yep it's common )

I've been there and seen it, and surprisingly like it better. 2a, 4a, and 6a branch circuits are common. Current limiting outlets... sign me up for some 400/230.:grin:

PetrosA

Update

Update

So I talked to someone here who "should" know the local practices, and he claims that running all the home runs from lighting circuits to one 10A breaker is generally acceptable, as long as you're only talking about the standard single luminaire per room scenario (which is common here) and there isn't a chance that you'll overload the circuit. I'm going to split it to two circuits, just in case a bulb goes and trips the breaker. The panel is an 18 circuit one, and I bought bus rail to expand it.

For the US guys here, I'll give you the prices of some parts for comparison:

10A-16A breakers - Legrand costs about $3.40 each
1 meter of 16mm copper 1 phase bus (1m=approx. 3'3") - $10

bus.jpg

Considering the number of panels I've had to replace over the years for a burned bus, this concept is really nice. you can replace just the bus if you need to since it gets screwed into a slot on the line side of each breaker and into the load side of the main.

Status
Not open for further replies.