Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Enclosure Grounding

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    101

    Enclosure Grounding

    I read a grounding specification as follows:

    All grounding needs to be tied together at just one point, IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.

    I can make sense of tying together at one point but I am having trouble with the following: IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Logan, Utah
    Posts
    7,939
    What is this specification a part of?

    Metal enclosures for electrical equipment must be grounded and bonded. This by default will make the enclosures part of the equipment grounding conductor.

    Chris

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Hayes View Post
    I read a grounding specification as follows:

    All grounding needs to be tied together at just one point, IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.

    I can make sense of tying together at one point but I am having trouble with the following: IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.
    Short Answer......

    They want you to install an EGC of the wire type. (side note- But do not isolate electrical equipment that is likely to become energized....make sure it is all bonded together. )

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,178
    I would agree with Daniel. Sounds like spects that require ground bars and equipmet grouning conductors (wires) throughout the system.
    Not a Code requirement.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Logan, Utah
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    I would agree with Daniel. Sounds like spects that require ground bars and equipmet grouning conductors (wires) throughout the system.
    Not a Code requirement.
    If that is indeed the intent of the spec, then the way the spec is worded it is very poor at best.

    Chris

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by raider1 View Post
    If that is indeed the intent of the spec, then the way the spec is worded it is very poor at best.

    Chris
    Agreed.......I have encountered similar specs, sometimes having to educate the "powers that be" of the dangers involved and code requirement . Don't take it for granted that an Engineer is going to understand the intent of the NEC, and/or follow it for that matter(typically they have the most influence in 16000).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Hayes View Post
    I read a grounding specification as follows:

    All grounding needs to be tied together at just one point, IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.

    I can make sense of tying together at one point but I am having trouble with the following: IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.
    Thery are just trying to say it needs to be a seperate EGC.
    Bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •