Replacement of Panelboard in existing can

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbergero

I wish to install SqD panelboards in existing GE cans. The cans conform to volume requirements of the new panelboards.
Does NEC 110.3(B) prohibit this process?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I wish to install SqD panelboards in existing GE cans. The cans conform to volume requirements of the new panelboards.
Does NEC 110.3(B) prohibit this process?

I would check with the AHJ as to whether or not he/she will permit this install. I know that Cutler Hammer makes a retro into other manufacturers panels but that is approved for the purpose. I don't see a real issue with it as long as the bonding can be achieved properly but I am not the AHJ.:D

480sparky

What about the cover?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
emoticons_spot_party.gif

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Most manufacturers, including Square D, have provisions for mounting their interiors and new trims into existing back boxes.

I believe the normal panel back box is UL listed as a stand alone cabinet very similar to a standard enclosure from someone like Hoffmann.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most manufacturers, including Square D, have provisions for mounting their interiors and new trims into existing back boxes.

I believe the normal panel back box is UL listed as a stand alone cabinet very similar to a standard enclosure from someone like Hoffmann.

Jim wouldn't you need to buy a specific item from Sq. D and not just retro any panel interior?

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Jim if we are talking 'panelboards' but if we are talking 'Load Centers' I am pretty sure UL makes a big deal out of a simple metal box.

360Youth

I would check with the AHJ as to whether or not he/she will permit this install. I know that Cutler Hammer makes a retro into other manufacturers panels but that is approved for the purpose. I don't see a real issue with it as long as the bonding can be achieved properly but I am not the AHJ.:D

This was the best web search I could find, but it will get you going in the right direction, I hope. One of our supply houses has started carrying these and and it may be what i use to replace a couple of FPE panels a customer contacted us about several weeks ago.

Lincoln Flex Retrofit Panel

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Jim wouldn't you need to buy a specific item from Sq. D and not just retro any panel interior?
Yes you would. The mounting arrangements need to be coordinated between the specific existing box and the specific new interior and trim.

As Bob said, this is for panelboards. Relatively few manufacturers make provisions to mount new loadcenter interiors into existing load center boxes, even those of their own manufacturer.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have done this a number of times in the past few years. Contact SQ D, they will need to know the panel can deminsions for their covers, you will mount the new interiors centered in the can for the new SQ D covers to work. SQ D can assist you if a listing issue arrises.

Roger

lbergero

Panelboard Replacement in Existing Cans

Panelboard Replacement in Existing Cans

AHJ states flatly that to do so is in violation of NEC 110.3(B).

To 480sparky: Thanks for the welcome!
The trim is required to be furnished with the panelboard as a
listed component. (and thanks for the welcome!)

The listing in UL 67 does not address the enclosure except with respect to volumetric considerations, bending space, and bonding provisions, etc.

It is my understanding for this to be a violation of 110.3(B), it must apply to all items listed by UL. If that were the case, one would [not] be able to: sic. "legally" install a Leviton wiring device in a RACO outlet box, a Panduit wire management system and/or GE breaker in a Hoffman Enclosure, or a Zenith Transfer Switch in a Cutler Hammer switchboard

Status
Not open for further replies.