European Neutral & Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

kedgerber

I have a project I'm working on for installation in France and don't understand their typical practices.

I am supplying an 800 panel in which I only require a neutral for 3 allen bradley soft starter cooling fans (approx 1 amp per fan). I asked the customer if using a 3 wire system (L1+L2+L3+PE) is better for them than a 4 wire (L1+L2+L3+N+PE) since I have such a small requirement for the neutral. My thought was to use a small transformer to power the 3 cooling fans on the soft starters.

My customer has offered a 3 wire system "three-phase power supply with safety ground wire, without neutral" or a "[FONT=arial, sans-serif] three-phase power supply with safety ground wire merged with the neutral".[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]It sounds like the second option may be the best solution but I'm [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]unfamiliar[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] with this. If I bring over the 4 wire system, they require a 4 pole breaker (L1+L2+L3+N) so I was hoping to change and use only a 3 pole breaker.

Any help or documentation regarding what the "safety ground merged with the neutral" is and if it requires a 4 pole breaker would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks![/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.