Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long should Metal Halide ballasts last?

How long should Metal Halide ballasts last?

I saw hambone1216's post on metal halide lamps, and it made me think of the ballasts for these lights.

I installed (6) 400W metal halide high bay lights back in 2005 (about 3 1/2 years ago). Four (4) of the lights stopped working. We tried new lamps, but they still didn't work. So, we replaced the ballasts. This fixed the lights, but it's awfully expensive.

I have two questions. One, how long should a typical metal halide ballast last? And two, do you guys typically get a ballast rebuild kit? Or do you troubleshoot the light, and replace just the capacitor or other components in the light fixture? I've always just replaced everything, but that's usually after the lights been in service for a MUCH longer time than 3 1/2 years!

Thanks!

Andrew

3 1/2 years life seems kinda short!

Three years is about right, maybe a bit long for HID lamps. If you look in the lamp catalogs, for example it will list 15,000 hours. This is the average life, and at that life you will have 50% failure, of course depending on the burn time. Dusk to dawn is 4,000 hours per year.
    So typically we will relamp every two years. Pulse start HIDs will last longer.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

I agree that 3 years for an HID lamp is about right, but the ballast should last longer than that.

Chris

90% of the time it's the capicitor not the ballist

I was referring to the ballast, not the lamp. A ballast SHOULD last longer than 3 1/2 years, but how long SHOULD they last? 5 years? 10 years?

If the capacitor is bad, what's the best way to test them?

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbar View Post
    I really should not answer the way that first came to mind!

I always replace the whole ballast assemby, ie ignitor, capacitor, ballast out of habit. It was the way I was taught and never questioned it. In reality, I suppose if the cap was bad, one could just replace it but then is the ignitor going to fail next week?
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

Place annalog meter across the terminals the needle should spike and rest back to zero

[QUOTE=buzzbar;1041613]

QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by A/A Fuel GTX View Post
    I suppose if the cap was bad, one could just replace it but then is the ignitor going to fail next week?
    Yep, when the customer calls you back 2 weeks later, that is all they're going to remember, is you didn't fix it right the first time. Not worth the hassle. Replace the ballast and lamp and know it'll be a long time before you'll have to work on it again.