half inch emt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, how many #14 THHN solid or stranded wire can be pulled through half inch emt? How many #12?
Thank you
Joe

480sparky

Quick question, how many #14 THHN solid or stranded wire can be pulled through half inch emt? How many #12?
Thank you
Joe

If this was a test question, the answers would be 12 and 9, respectively. All this about derating and being on the roof and control wiring is not going to change those answers.

BTW, solid or stranded, makes no difference.

ericsherman37

I managed to pack 20 #12 THHN stranded conductors in a short piece of 1/2" EMT once (it was in the classroom, not on the job). But if you want to abide by the Code, then use Annex C. Or, alternatively, you can use Chapter 9 Tables 4 and 5 to figure out exactly what you can pack in there.

cschmid

so I can put 12 or 9 respectivly in EMT. so is a nuetral current carring and can I add a isolated ground wit each of thoughs circuits..so would it 4 circuits with a ground or circuits wit 6 isolated grounds..or just a flat 9 or twelve wires regardless of current carrying conductors..

480sparky

so I can put 12 or 9 respectivly in EMT. so is a nuetral current carring and can I add a isolated ground wit each of thoughs circuits..so would it 4 circuits with a ground or circuits wit 6 isolated grounds..or just a flat 9 or twelve wires regardless of current carrying conductors..

The question boils down to "How many little circles can I fit into a big circle?"

Derating, heat, ambient temperature, length of run, being on a roof, how many 90s, current-carrying conductors, how many are neutrals, is it a nipple, single- or three-phase, is Elvis still alive? do I wear boxers or briefs? etc etc etc. does not enter into it.

The question was, How many 14s and 12s THHNs are allowed in ?" EMT? It's a raceway fill question. Nothing more.

DARUSA

The maximum percentage of allowable conductor fill is listed in Chapter 9, Table 1.It is based on commond conditions were the lenght of the conductor and number of raceways bends are within rasonable limits. (All conductors are the same size and insulation.
Derating:if the number of current carring conductors exceeds 3,the conductor ampacity decreces NEC 310.15 B 2 a

izak

i will say this

40% fill on 1/2 emt.....

IS FULL

9 # 12's is hard enough

11 # 12's just dont work
even if the pipe is 5 feet long with one offset

Status
Not open for further replies.